• Register
  • Help

Topic: Question about sequencers

Question about sequencers

Well, my computer should come in a day or two and as soon as I get it all registered, etc. I'll order Gigastudio and some libraries as well as a GSIF2 sound card.

I need to learn more about sequencers so I can buy one and use it to optimize my music output. But I am pretty much vague on the concept.

If my vague concept is anywhere near on track, it seems to me that a sequencer can do both of the following. a) modify a midi file for better playback, b) modify an audio file for better sound playback. In otherwords, a sequencer can improve the midi file that is directed into gigastudio and the same sequencer can than take the audio file that gigastudio creates and polish it up.

Am I on track here?

And which if the two do you experts spend more time on?

(I am planning on buying some books on the subject.... musicbooksplus has a few.... do you have any recommendations?)

Out of my Mind

Re: Question about sequencers

Hi David.

Well, actually, a sequencer will allow you to do these things (it doesn’t do it for you per se). With midi, you will be able to play into your sequencer and edit any note as you see fit. You can edit out mistakes, place your timing goof right on the beat, and all kinds of cool stuff . With audio, you can mix tracks as if you were in a recording studio, allowing you to produce studio quality music with proper “separation” of frequencies, add effects, and a gazillion other things. The main sequencers are Pro Tools, Sonar, Cubase, Digital Performer (those weird L.A. people use this ), Logic, and a few others. They are all good. Pick the one that is right for you. This will be your most important software purchase as it defines the environment in which you will be working. No matter what you choose, you are in for a heck of a fun ride.

Good Luck,

"So what if some parts of life are a crap shoot? Get out there and shoot the crap." -- Neil Peart
    Hint:1.6180339887498948482 Φ

You are on track. Without some sequencer you would not be able to hear the music you are creating. In GS3, you have a virtual keyboard you can play with your mouse, and hear the sound of the instruments, but there is no way to create a midi file. If you have other means of creating a Midi file, check if you can use it with GS3. I am creating my Midi files with my sequencer, by either playing my Midi controller keyboard and recording it with the sequencer, or building the file note by note entering my music on the computer keyboard.The result of this work is a file containing all the notes I recorded, which instrument is to play the notes, when to play it and at what velocity. Most of my time is spent using my sequencer. When I am finished entering a project, I can play it back through GS3. I then have to mix it down, ( also in the sequencer) adjust the balance of the instruments, assign a part to a different instrument, etc. all in the sequencer. Sometimes I have to go back to GS3, and tweak an instrument so it will sound better in the piece. When I have the piece sounding as I like it, I record it (capture it) in GS3, creating a .wav file of the work. You can also record audio in your sequencer, combine it with a midi file, or convert your Midi file to an audio file in the sequencer.
    Which sequencer you wish to buy is a personal choice, all of them on the market now can do the same things, one is easier for one individual to use, the other is better for an other person. I started many years ago with Cakewalk, now I am using Homestudio 2004. I am used to use it, and have very little problems with it. You should read up on the various sequencers like Cubase, Sonar to mention just two kinds many people are using.
    Your soundcard should be GSIF compatible, I am using M-Audio AP2496, quite inexpensive and good enough for me.Advantage of this card is that you do not need a separate Midi interface.
    My system is very simple, the professionals have far mor elaborate set-ups,but I thought for your start you need only the basics now.
    Good luck, and yes, read up

Scottsdale, AZ

Tascam has a list of all of the compatible audio cards with GSIF 2.0. There really aren't very many. Echo has two brand new ones that look really cool: Gina3G and Layla3G. They both have two 1/4" and XLR front mic inputs, plus a number of outputs (including digital I/O!) I am going to get the Layla3G, because it has more I/O for running to a mixing board. Also, you'll probably want to get some reference moniters if you don't already have them, and possibly a mixing board, depending upon how much control you want of the MIDI (GigaStudio samples) vs. recorded (live) audio. As far as sequencers go, I am using Sonar 3, and am ugrading to Sonar 4, which comes out at the end of this month. Good luck with your setup! One other thing to note, GigaStudio currently only supports up to 2GB of RAM, so depending upon how many instruments you want playing at the same time, you may have to upgrade. I have 4GB on my computer, and will eventually be able to use them with GigaStudio.

Go Back to forum