• Register
  • Help

Topic: A Deliciously Dorian Demo

Share/Bookmark

A Deliciously Dorian Demo

Hey, it's my first real GPO piece! This was just one of those magical inspirations that I can't really explain, so I have not much to say about it. My aging Mac could barely handle it, but I still love GPO. This is in Dorian mode. Why? Because modes are cool, and I'm a keyboard racist.*

Use whichever link works:
    http://personal.stthomas.edu/cwmugglimil/glimmer.mp3
    http://lontas.no-ip.org/glimmer.mp3

* I hate black keys. I only accept the white ones. However, perhaps someday a strong mentor of the piano will be able to teach me to play in harmony with keys of all colors. Until then, C Major, A Minor, and modes are all I got.

Re: A Deliciously Dorian Demo

I was so excited to get that piece posted, I forgot to give the full title. It's called "A Glimmer Of Hope". It uses the glass harmonica, which I haven't yet heard in anybody's demos here. Enjoy.

Quote Originally Posted by lontas

* I hate black keys. I only accept the white ones. However, perhaps someday a strong mentor of the piano will be able to teach me to play in harmony with keys of all colors. Until then, C Major, A Minor, and modes are all I got.
    Racism is bad, mmmmkay? Remember what Paul McCartney and Stevie Wonder said!!

It's a neat little peice. The glass harmonica does make a nice texture.

I thought this was a delicious piece indeed!
    The orchestration sounded very creative to my amateur ears (but well, I am immersed in Strauss, Mahler and Bartok and the likes most of the day so I have a listening taste atleast!)

The fast attacks seemed a bit synthy, I wonder if that could be improved. Also the rythm seems to be not perfect at times, maybe you culd edit the MIDI file.

I was sticking to the modes for a long time until when I
    accepted the reality that I need accidentals all the time!

Nice work, even on my dinky work speakers. I think I'll give another listen from home, when I can really hear what's going on.
    - Jamie Kowalski

All Hands Music - Kowalski on the web
    The Ear Is Always Correct - Writings on composition

Go Back to forum