• Register
  • Help

Topic: An Old One I Presume...

Share/Bookmark

An Old One I Presume...

I havent been together with my audio-pc for a while, for this Im sorry. But....

Im trying for the second time to get Sonar XL 1,31 to work with GigaStudio 2,5 on my dedicated audio-pc with XP an M-Audio Audiophile.

After the first reboot, everything seem to work fine, it plays perfect with no latency.
    I open Sonar in GS, it works, I try to record, no luck. I close Sonar and boom,\"Blue Screen\" tells me theres something wrong, it does not show long enough to get it written down.

I know there\'s been tons of topics on this matter, but could someone pls. help me.
    If you want, we could do this off the forum.
    e-mail me: olav@risan.net

My specs:
    Memory: 767 Mbytes
    CPU: 1058 MHz, Pentium/Pentium clone (CPU ID 662)
    Drives:
    A:\\ - DRIVE_REMOVABLE
    C:\\ - DRIVE_FIXED 19083 Mbytes (Total Size), 13038 Mbytes (Avail space)
    D:\\ - DRIVE_FIXED 19075 Mbytes (Total Size), 15788 Mbytes (Avail space)
    E:\\ - DRIVE_REMOTE
    G:\\ - DRIVE_CDROM
    H:\\ - DRIVE_CDROM

WaveOut devices (3):
    Device 0 - M Audio Delta AP Multichannel
    Device 1 - M Audio Delta AP 1/2
    Device 2 - M Audio Delta AP S/PDIF

MidiOut devices (6):
    Device 0 - Microsoft GS Wavetable SW Synth
    Device 1 - NemeSys MidiOut: Port 1
    Device 2 - NemeSys MidiOut: Port 2
    Device 3 - NemeSys MidiOut: Port 3
    Device 4 - NemeSys MidiOut: Port 4
    Device 5 - Delta AP MIDI

Memory:767 Mbytes
    CPU:1058 MHz, Pentium/Pentium clone (CPU ID 662)
    Drives:
    C:\\ - DRIVE_FIXED 19083 Mbytes
    D:\\ - DRIVE_FIXED 19075 Mbytes (Audio Drive),

WaveOut devices (3):
    Device 0 - M Audio Delta AP Multichannel
    Device 1 - M Audio Delta AP 1/2
    Device 2 - M Audio Delta AP S/PDIF

MidiOut devices (6):
    Device 0 - Microsoft GS Wavetable SW Synth
    Device 1 - NemeSys MidiOut: Port 1
    Device 2 - NemeSys MidiOut: Port 2
    Device 3 - NemeSys MidiOut: Port 3
    Device 4 - NemeSys MidiOut: Port 4
    Device 5 - Delta AP MIDI

Re: An Old One I Presume...

Ive used Sonar with GS and i got a BSOD which said something like: Stack Overflow. Increase the noumber of stack spaces in win.ini (something like that)
    This has not been a problem since i upgraded to Win Xp and Sonar v2.0.. I used Win98 back then..

However, i have the Egosys Maya44 card..

Have you scanned your hard drives for errors? You dont say anything about the file system your disks uses.. Since XP is bulit on NT, the native file system is NTFS and not FAT32.. Ive read articles about this matter and some say that the file system doesnt matter and some says its crucial.. I havent tried the FAT32 system in XP but NTFS works fine for me..

Also look into System - Device Manager and check if there is no driver malfunctions or IRQ Collisions or anything like that..

I dont know if this helps you but its better than nothing right? [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Good luck.. Getting your DAW to work the way you want it to is an art in itself [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Hilser til en landsmann også forresten [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

If it is indeed a stack problem, you can read about increasing number of stack pages here:

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/story.hts/tech/782593

Hello again (eller hei !)
    I have no error in device manager or IRQ clashes.
    Im using fat32 on both my drives (Wd 20gb 7200)
    and due to the size of the disks, I dont have a problem with converting to NTFS.
    It\'s about double the size is\'ent it ?
    But will this help ?

Re. M-audio drivers, I have the the last and final version for XP and this has not been a problem yet. I really do need Sonar V.2

Thanks so far !

I actually dont know if converting to NTFS will help you, but you cannot afford to leave a single stone unturned in this matter. Fingering problems like yours is very hard and i know how difficult it can be for people to solve the problems without having the ability of beeing physically at your computer. So all i can do is to give you suggestions and possible solutions. Either than that its mostly trial and error.
    But when you suddenly solve your problem, you must try and remember what you just did to solve it. The best thing to do is to write it down just in case the problem comes back to haunt you.

Phewww, a little OT there sorry..

Your last option could be to do a full disc format and install the OS and software again. A clean computer is a good computer.. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] )

Nagash out

The last time I had the same troubles, I gave up, cleaned up/formatted and went back to WINME, Cakewalk 9,03 and Gigasampler. But this was not the same. I really want this to work. Im trying to write everything down, but XP comes up with a error-message you\'re suppose to send to Microsoft. This message tells me nothing.

Would updating Sonar > 2,0 and GigaStudio updates help ?`

If you dig deeper into that error message that XP wants to send to Microsoft you can get a detailed description of what the problem is.. Im not at my XP machine right now and i dont remember where you click to get that list but its not too hard.

I really hope that updating to Sonar v2 would help. Its worth a try IMO. And yeah, try updating GS as well..

THings:

1) Do not use NTFS with ggia on XP. It doesnt work well and Tascam doest recommend it

2) Check your EVENT LOG for any error messages

3) You may have a MINI DUMP file created. Look in your system32 directory. There should be a subdirectory there. THis can be valuable in locating why you are crashing. A dump reader can interpret this file to display drivers that were running and exact error information

4) If you know EXACTLY what the error message says we may be able to help you determine what is happening. The error message MAY have additional data with it such as ox0000000C and the like. Post this information as well as this tell us sub information.

Originally posted by composer22:
    THings:

1) Do not use NTFS with ggia on XP. It doesnt work well and Tascam doest recommend it

2) Check your EVENT LOG for any error messages

3) You may have a MINI DUMP file created. Look in your system32 directory. There should be a subdirectory there. THis can be valuable in locating why you are crashing. A dump reader can interpret this file to display drivers that were running and exact error information

4) If you know EXACTLY what the error message says we may be able to help you determine what is happening. The error message MAY have additional data with it such as ox0000000C and the like. Post this information as well as this tell us sub information.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">What is the problem of using NTFS with Giga? Ive used it for 2 months now and it works like a charm.. Will problems evolve over time or??

I do believe that gigasampler is not Xp compadible. Gigastudio is...
    The only other thing I can suggest is make sure you open Sonar from within gigastudio, and be sure that Sonar and gigastudio do NOT share audio outputs...
    Bri

Go Back to forum