• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Jan Fairhurst

Share/Bookmark

Jan Fairhurst

Hello Jan:

I got my GS3, had no problem installing and registering it. Now, when finally I could enjoy GS3, my old Yamaha keyboard I used as a controller expired, died, gone.
    Looking for a controller I found M-Audio Radium 61. It is USB, and it does "not need a Midi-interface. Since I have AP 2496, I do not need an interface anyway. Do you see any problem if I buy this controller? I supposed to pick it up this comming Tuesday, so if you would be so kind, would you give me just a "buy" or "don't buy"
    Regarding GS3 (while my keyboard worked), I like it, but I was not "floored" by the sounds I tweaked. So, I have a lot of questions and will collect them in a time-saving form for you. I have almost no memory useage, ( 10%) but 60-70% of CPU with no Guigapulse, only the old reverb in four instances with a VSL mostly orchestra. Maybe I am not set up right.

Thanks

Ted

Re: Jan Fairhurst

Hi Ted,

Sorry about the untimely death of your Yamaha keyboard. My condolences to the entire Yamaha family.

Regarding the M-Audio keyboards, I've heard good things about them. The only downsides are no aftertouch and light weighting. If you don't use aftertouch that's not an issue, and it looks like this particular model is unweighted anyway.

I like how generous the M-Audio keyboards are with sliders and knobs. Things I don't care for are that the pitch and mod wheels are above the keys rather than to the side, and that it doesn't look like it accepts a linear foot or breath controller. If you didn't use external controllers with the Yamaha, it's probably no big deal with this keyboard.

Maybe the best part is that it's small, light and inexpensive. I can see this easily sliding out from underneath the computer keyboard, so you can do all your work without turning to the side.

Technically, it should work fine. I've got an M-Audio 1x1 USB midi port that works nicely with GS3. There's no reason that this shouldn't work fine as well.

Let us know how you like it!

-JF

Hello JON:

Sorry about my spelling. Thanks for the information, I buy it.
    You are mentioning that you are using a USB 1X1 Midi port. I have a 2X2 gathering dust in my cupboard. If you can use it, let me know, I would be happy to send it to you, I don't think I would ever use it ( It is also USB)
    Regarding GS3, you again helped me! I see that you are using the Vienna Orchestra and ONE instance of GPulse. I was trying to have four groups of Inputs, one for woods, one for brass, one for violins and one for viola,cello and bass. When I tried to add Gpulse to each of the Aux sends, my CPU went over a hundred. Then, reading your setup I tried to load one instance of Gpulse on 1 Aux. and in the inputs set on all four groups to 1 Aux, IT WORKED! Maybe this is not the way an expert would do it, but it works, all my instruments have the GPulse sound and my CPU is 23%! My memory is 13% with the 2 Gig I have.
    Thanks again, without you, I would be still only fidling!!!!
    Let me know if you can use the 2X2.
    I sent a wish to Tascam re the Controller settings on the Mixer page and mentioned that you would prefer it as a Global setting.

Ted

Serendipity! I could very much use the 2x2. I was just thinking about needing a second input this morning. I've got a drum module in addition to the keyboard. I've been doing a MIDI-Thru, but a second input would be great. I'll PM you with the details.

I'm glad that the single GPulse trick works well for you. Once your composition and performance are completed, then it's time to do some muting and "seat" the sections separately. It will take a little time and effort, but not much in the big scheme of things.

-JF

Exclamation Re: Jan Fairhurst

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Vanya
    Hello Jan:

I got my GS3, had no problem installing and registering it. Now, when finally I could enjoy GS3, my old Yamaha keyboard I used as a controller expired, died, gone.
    Looking for a controller I found M-Audio Radium 61. It is USB, and it does "not need a Midi-interface. Since I have AP 2496, I do not need an interface anyway. Do you see any problem if I buy this controller? I supposed to pick it up this comming Tuesday, so if you would be so kind, would you give me just a "buy" or "don't buy"
    Regarding GS3 (while my keyboard worked), I like it, but I was not "floored" by the sounds I tweaked. So, I have a lot of questions and will collect them in a time-saving form for you. I have almost no memory useage, ( 10%) but 60-70% of CPU with no Guigapulse, only the old reverb in four instances with a VSL mostly orchestra. Maybe I am not set up right.

Thanks

Ted

Hi Ted!

I'm new here... My name is Salvador Peláez

I wish I can say the same about GS3. I was able to install the program but if I start GS3 and there's no CD in the DVD drive the Splash window hangs for 5 min. 13 sec. then GS3 starts. If I put any kind of CD in the DVD drive, GS3 Start with no Problems, no waiting time.....
    This is dum! I did assign the Quick Sound Data Base to the drive with the Gig.
    I never had this problem with GS160. I called Tech Supp. on Friday and the guy could not tell me why is doning this...

G&S Recording Studio
    INTEL MOBO D875PBZ...Hyper Thr. is off
    Win XP Pro SP1
    PIV 3.0 gHz 533mhz Prescott (AAARRRG) No SP2 for me!!!!
    1.0 GB RAM Kingston
    2 HD Western Digital
    CUBASE SX 1.0.6
    HALion 2
    REASON 2.5
    Hypersonic
    EWQL SO GOLD
    DFH2
    V.Guitarrist 1 & 2
    LM4 mkII
    T-Rack
    Amplitube
    Etc.....

Help!

Salvador,

It sounds like Quicksound is trying to scan your DVD drive.

Once GS3 is running go to the menu: "File | GigaStudio Settings". Go to the "QuickSound" tab. Click the "Advanced Settings..." button.

There is a box that says "Include these Drive Letters in the QuickSound Database Search". Only your Gig drive should be checked.

On my system the removable drives (A = Floppy; G = DVD) are visible, but grayed out. What is the letter for your DVD drive? Is it gray? Is it unchecked?

It's possible that there is a problem with the configuration of your DVD. Maybe Windows thinks it's a fixed drive. Maybe Windows has a bad configuration.

Here is a possible solution: Turn off your PC. Unplug the DVD drive from your motherboard. Turn on the system. Launch Giga. Are there any problems?

Now, shut down the computer. Check that the drives on your DVD Drive IDE cable are set properly. You can set both drives to "CS" using the jumper on the drives. Or set any hard drive at the end of the cable to "Master" and set the DVD drive to "Slave". The DVD drive should be connected to the connector in the middle of the cable.

Now turn on Windows. Hopefully it will detect the DVD drive and install it properly.

Best of luck.

-JF

Exclamation Re: Jan Fairhurst

HI TED!

Thanks for responding!
    The DVD drive is just like you said, Slave and in the middle of the cable.
    YEAH! I unpluged the DVD drive from the PC and GS3 started normal
    But WHY? The dvd drive is drive D: and it is unchecked in the advanced QuickSound setup, I can not click on it. The only drive that is checked for QuickSound is the F: drive.
    I went even deeper into the F: drive so it would read only the Gig Folder....in the advanced setup of the QuickSound Database.

I'll keep moving the DVD around to see if GS3 stop bugging up!

Thumbs up Re: Jan Fairhurst

GOT IT WORKING!

Thanks Ted !

I had to do some re configuration on how I had the IDE drives setup.
    I also set the jumpers to Master and Slave..

Your Tip helped a LOT.... You know GS well. I'm a HALion dude.

I should had seen this! I build PCs all the time but I did not know that GS3 is so sensitive on that manner. I'm glad that you were right..
    I'm on now.

It's time to go Firewire or SATA. but maybe GS3 and SATA aren't cool friends.

Talking Re: Jan Fairhurst

Duro:

I would like to take the credit, but check back please, it was Jon Fairhurst who helped you.
    Anyhow, glad that you are OK

Ted

Red face Re: Jan Fairhurst

OOH LORD!
    So sorry John ......

THANK YOU FOR YOUR HELP
    I got mixed up with the reply thing..sorry...

FOR the record, IT WAS John.....
    Thanks for responding!

I had to do some re-configuration on how I had the IDE drives setup.
    I also set the jumpers to Master and Slave..

Your Tip helped a LOT.... You know GS well. I'm a HALion dude.

I should had seen this! I build PCs all the time but I did not know that GS3 is so sensitive on that manner. I'm glad that you were right..
    I'm on now.

FOR JOHN FAIRHURST

Go Back to forum