• Register
  • Help

Topic: Lunchbox Live! Defining the system...

Share/Bookmark

Lunchbox Live! Defining the system...

OK, I give up! It appears that there is no current solution to GS live on a laptop, with the possible exception of King\'s Idiot-centric laptop. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Here\'s my plan:

A lunchbox computer with Audiophile 2496. 1.2 ro 1.4 GHZ PIII or P4, 512 MB RAM, two ultra-DMA 7200 RPM drives.

I want to be able to play sequences (but don\'t need to record them) so the sequencer has to run on the lunchbox and drive both GS (one port, 16 channels) and an external GM hardware module. What is a good MIDI file player that can do this with minimal CPU/HD overhead? How do I get the sequencer to see GS as one of it\'s targets? Is a third product required, or is it done in the sequencer setup? [img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img] I only sequence on my Mac now, so GS is always an external module to it.

I also need to have an external keyboard playing one of the GS channels. I assume this means using a second GS port. But will the MIDI In on the Audiophile see GS and vice versa? [img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img]

Thanks.

Dasher

Re: Lunchbox Live! Defining the system...

Hi,

I got a lunchbox set-up, too. I don\'t use it live as you do. But I do run Cakealk PA9 and Giga 160 on it with few glitches.

To run just sequences out of your sequencer while using Giga isn\'t a problem (as long as you keep your drive defragged...esp. before live performance).

You shouldn\'t a need a third party software program for this.

But if I were in your shoes, I would bounce as much as possible of my midi sequence down to an audio stereo track.
    Keep a few tracks open in the sequencer to access Giga channels you want.

As far as the external sound module..again, if it\'s a midi sequence that I\'m playing along with..I would capture to audio in the sequencer and not even deal with midi I/O data. If you want to use a patch from your external module to take a solo, then use the module\'s audio out into your sound system for it to be heard.

Re: Lunchbox Live! Defining the system...

Marty, thanks for the reply. I understand why you\'d want to bounce to audio, but our duo finds ourselves making changes to things all the time, sometimes while on-stage, especaiily relative mix levels (things like the number of people in the audience, are they dancing or listening, etc. change the way the mix goes.) Also I don\'t want to be stuck with re-recording everything when my parter gets a new GM module...

If I were going to do it that way, I\'d just burn CDs and save thousands of $$$ [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

But I also want the freedom to try new things out live (I\'m an improviser, and I hate the \'same old-same-old\' syndrome.)

Besides, I want it MY way!!! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

But your info is helpful. And premixing sime things, like backing sections, is a good idea. Thanks.

Dasher

Go Back to forum