• Register
  • Help

Topic: Anyone else for the bundled sample payback concept?

Anyone else for the bundled sample payback concept?

I just wanted to say that the benefits that I am getting with this technology is far outweighing the cons. I thought that this would be the end of sample customization, and to some degree it is, but I have to admit that the type of things that I generally customize is fully available to me.

The idea that when I open my sequence, all of my presets are automatically loaded and ready to go is fantastic. I am very happy with the sound that I am achieving and overall I would never want to go back to multiple machines or external hardware.

My system is very stable considering the fact that I am pushing a fairly aging computer, thanks to OS X my crashes are very easy to recover from.

I love the idea that I no longer need to spend money on sample libraries AND sample software.

Kompakt instruments work very well, Intakt is awesome and has made my life super easy when dealing with different tempos.

I don't have to invest in super expensive AD/DA converters because the signal path remains internal and digital all the way through mastering and layback.

My power bill is not outrageous!!!

Anyone else like the way things are going or am I the only one that likes this new technology?
    Music Composition for Feature Films, Television and Interactive Entertainment

Out in left field

Re: Anyone else for the bundled sample payback concept?

I'm not sure if you're talking specifically about the NI bundle, or asking more generally about the soft, computer-based approach to music creation.

I, for one, am enthralled by this new technology, having only recently discovered it accidently while online shopping for a slightly better arranger keyboard. Before, all I had ever done was plug a a midi keyboard into a PC and play it's internal sounds, tweak the midi then use a multitrack wave editor. I had no idea that one could use a "dumb" keyboard to play such stunningly realistic instruments off of a hard drive with sample libraries.

But I'm still learning how to do it. Since August, I got GPO, full Kontakt, Sonar, a "pro" audio card, and I'm messing with ASIO drivers, settings, templates, and tutorials more than making music. This is the "dues pay" time. Once I get fluent in the software/engineering language, I'm sure there will be no looking back.

Possible cons: Even though I want a simple, minimalistic set-up, it's looking more and more like a monetary black hole. I want that Rare Instrument $500 World Library, PSP (or similar) Vintage Warmer, a much better controller, 2nd hard drive, dedicated DAW PC (or Mac?,) etc...

It's also obvious that as the tech develops, (with all the new "must have" upgrades and updates) it will have the effect of considerably shortening the useful shelf-life of even the most robust of today's computers. Only 2 months ago, a GB of RAM seemed like all the gold in Ft. Knox. Now I'm lamenting that this is all my little Dell will support.

I live a very simple, pedestrian "bohemian" (I guess) lifestyle well beneath the material norms of the American Middle Class, and for the first time in my life I find myself really wishing I had some real money (a profession instead of just a job,) so I could avail myself of all the best this soft synth world has to offer. But on the other hand, using the soft approach allows for one's DAW to be built incrementally.

In sum, I like this new tech a lot. Just looking forward to my musicianship being the primary issue, rather than financial/technical logistics. The possibilities of using this stuff for artistic endeavors continues to blow my fuzzy little mind.

It's great when all the little software pieces play together nicely. But I'm afraid that if reliability is the primary goal, having outboard gear gets the job done- without "blue screens of death", with having to disable hyperthreading, without issues past 2GB, without unexpected dropouts when CPU utilization hits 100%, or when the hard drive thoroughput it exceeded.

It is still pretty much hit or miss with software- one unfriendly application can cause all of the others major issues.

While I'd like to think we're at the end of the hardware era, the truth is I think we've got a couple more years of use coming. Personally, when I in a "music making mood" and not a "pc troubleshooting mode", I'm darn glad to have my hardware tone generators and such- they NEVER fail to deliver each and every time- the same just can't be said about all my software synths.

So until the software gets a little farther along, I'll take the hardware modules I've got and keep them. Plus, I've noticed that software loses its value very rapidly the moment the next revision comes out. The hardware tends to hold its value much better. Not to beat a dead horse, but when I look back over the past 5 years, the money I've spent on quality hardware modules still gives me great pleasure and has a lot of value. Some of the software I've bought though has turned out to be worthless and buggy and in 2 more years will be considered a joke.

I know I'm in the minority here but thought I would jump in and make a final case for hardware. Until better software standards develop and stability increases, hardware will be around if for no other reason than to serve those who play live and can't afford to be seen on stage farting around in Windows.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Trainer
    It's great when all the little software pieces play together nicely.
    Which is more often than not anymore, at least for me...

until the software gets a little farther along, I'll take the hardware modules I've got and keep them.
    I'm keeping my hardware as well. I haven't found the software yet that can replace a PCM-91 or KSP-8, or even my Microwave XT...! And yet, I'm not giving up the new software that I have either... I used to be pretty happy with my Triton Pro and XV-5080 with SRX Orchestra and Drum cards until I got KHSS, GPO, QLSO Silver, BFD, Culture, dfh-SUPERIOR and Storm Drum! And all that software cost about the same as the XV (without the cards)...

At the same time, I plan to keep using the Triton and XV combo for the live stuff. Everything seems to have its place...

Go Back to forum