• Register
  • Help

Topic: Logic 5 users

Share/Bookmark

Logic 5 users

I\'m thinking of upgrading from Logic 4 to 5. Anyone knows if Logic 5 taxes the CPU more than 4? Everything is working fine for me now and I hate to upgrade only to find out that it disrupts the balance of my system.

Re: Logic 5 users

Actually Emagic claims that Logic 5 uses less CPU on VST/DX/Logic plugins because of some \'DSP optimization\'. Not sure if it\'s true, but at least it shouldn\'t use MORE CPU.

The upgrade to Logic 5 is worth it for the new automation features alone imho. I would wait until v5.2 is out though (I believe it is in beta right now).

Ryan.

Yes, Logic 5 uses more CPU. Because there is a new mixer and maybe some of the other features, it uses more cpu.

However Emagic now has dot plugins and they should save CPU. I haven\'t tried this myself but these are the reports on the Logic User Group (confirmed by Emagic).

btw There is a Logic 5.13 now and it seems to be much more stable than earlier 5.x versions.

Thanks guys. I\'m really tempted to upgrade, but I think I\'ll wait a while and see how things go - especially since my setup is very stable now. The new multiple-undo (finally) is a definite plus point in the latest version. I\'m getting quite sick with accidentally deleting tracks and unable to undo more than once!

I\'m using Logic 5 Platinum now for 6 weeks. I upgraded to version 5.1.2 just recently but I did not do the 5.1.3 upgrade since there must be some problems with this one. Check out the SONIC Logic Forum for various feedbacks.

Logic runs pretty stable on my computer. The only error I have are casual ASIO overloads when I playback a \"heavy duty\" demo song.

With Gigastudio I use Logic 5 mainly as a score notation program and midi seqencer. It\'s 100% stable on my platform.

Overall, the performance of Logic 5 is very well. But I suggest to check very well the adequate forums before upgrading to the next higher
    version.
    ------------------------------------------------
    VAIO P4 2.2GHz/ 512 MB RAM
    Layla 24
    Logic 5
    Gigastudio 160

On the subject of CPU usage, now I would have to enable my USB port just to accomodate the new key. Sad. I\'ve grown very attached to the dongle.

Originally posted by Simon Ravn:
    Actually Emagic claims that Logic 5 uses less CPU on VST/DX/Logic plugins because of some \'DSP optimization\'. Not sure if it\'s true, but at least it shouldn\'t use MORE CPU.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">This is more than a claim. Logic 5.0 is optimized to take advantage of the P4\'s SSE-2 instruction set which enables the program to run faster and with more stability. Samplitude 6.0 is also SSE-2 optimized as is Sequoia. For our TrueSpec computer systems (www.alexuniv.com/Premio-AU) we\'re recommending a minimum installed RAM of 512MB especially with WinXP. For MIDI, we ONLY use MTP AV Parallel because there still seem to be USB issues.

hello,

i also know, that emagic claims that logic 5 is better in terms of \"cpu\", but my experience showed me other facts...

afdf

Go Back to forum