• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

Topic: RANT: Sample Lib Makers: Documentation! Playing Techniques! Examples!

Share/Bookmark

RANT: Sample Lib Makers: Documentation! Playing Techniques! Examples!

I am having an ongoing lovers spat with the developer of one of my fave sample libs of all time. This lib is FANTASTIC. Love it.
    BUT, as a computer programmer by trade, the end -Product- reminds me a LOT of various guys I have known over the years who spend 95% of their effort on the program and 5% on the user manual. (Steinberg has been like this, though SX3 -has- gotten MUCH better in this regard.)

It's not the it isn't 'documented'. It is. The -contents- are scrupulously documented.

BUT, and here's the BIG BUT: There is almost NOTHING in it on how to -use- it. You know---playing techniques. Examples showing how various effects are created emulating what a 'real' player would do.

And nowadays, sample libs are getting MIGHTY PRICEY. A couple of years ago, people bitched about spending a couple hundred on a lib. Now it's common to add a zero to that!

So: If the developers are going to make a 400TB library with 372 'performances' and 1293 'perspectives' I think it is incumbent on them to show us poor saps how to USE IT.

I will not name the offenders. Instead, I will (hopefully) shame them by offering an example of a guy WHO DOES IT RIGHT. Gary Garritan.

Anyone who buys GOS or GPO gets a TON of background info, not just on the lib, but on the PLAYING TECHNIQUES that some of us never got round to learning because we didn't go to music college, or slept in class while there.

Also: his web site is CHOCK FULL of MORE stuff to aid the budding composer in his efforts to create convincing PERFORMANCES. Demos of various techniques! Examples from other composers! MID files! It's all there.

Message to all sample lib developers: If you want the big dosh for your efforts, PLEASE budget adequate space/time for TUTORIALS and PLAYING TECHNIQUES.

Charge more if you must, but don't think that your responsibility to the customer ends with a GIG or FXP, some WAVs and a PDF of file names.

---JC

Re: RANT: Sample Lib Makers: Documentation! Playing Techniques! Examples!

When you buy a guitar it doesnt come with a manual on how to play it ?? Or does it not come with a manual on how to operate on it.

Please, dont blame the developer if you are too impatient to learn the software.

Everything in life has a learning curve -- adjust or get out !

Sorry, but im inclined to call you lazy.

And if you use GPO as an example - you must also ealize who the target market is - and the same goes with any library - all have a pretty specific audience, and an assumed aptittude.

hmm i have to agree and not - both

on one hand every music instrument is sold with an operating manual, not how to learn to composing. so people who just buy a professional library just know how to handle it, how the patches and stuff works - it's just there.

on the other hand i have to say, i would have wished that there are simple tutorials for techniques and midi commands and you find some rare stuff on the internet.

i started out to write a couple of tutorials but i was just eaten by jobs good for me, bad for other, but i know that i will continue with that ... for sure !!

usually that you are a programmer it's obvious, or as a modeler, that you find tons of supermegacool tutorials on the net, so it's damn easy for a guy interested in modelling to do his first head-sculpture or whatever ... but in the world of music & computer, everything is just a little behind, but probably it is just the fact that it's easier to do programming or 3d tutorials than music tuts because you can just post some jpgs and not post descriptions, a midi and a waves file

I think one thing that stops most developers from investing time into manuals and how-to's is that - even after you spend weeks writting the greatest tutorial ever told - you get that phone call from a user at eight in the morning cause (s)he can't figure out how to load the darned thing when (not even Chapter One) but the flippin' PROLOUGE is entitled "How To Load The Darned Thing"

I kid, I kid, ...but I don't...

I think documentation on the specifics for that library are important, but beyond that, everyone's playing techniques differ and to try and document them all would be impossible. Plus there is tons of free info online for playing techniques - I guess devs could gather these for you from a google search and place them in the docs for the lib - but nmost would be 404s by the time it shipped...

Anyway... just my two cents.
    Alan Lastufka | www.BelaDMedia.com
    Producer/Artistic Design | Content Producer

20 Things

I think you have two major problems:
    - You do no want to learn to master the instrument that you want to play (i.e. your sample libraries)
    - you have inspiration problems. You hope that "great" libraries, together with ample instructions will tell you how to do "it": to quickly and magically record those beautiful lines that are still half-conscious in your mind...

This work just requires a lot of study, trial and error. No such thing as a free lunch...

I can't think of anything I used a manual for.... I thought thats why they're no longer in english

Pretty insulting. But that's OK, I guess. I know a lot of these forums have a high disregard for 'grousers' regardless of the merits of their ideas. To address your points.

1. This is not laziness. This is simply a lack of information. If I want to play guitar better, there are any number of media and people I can immediately seek out for tuition. Not so with many libs. The number of libs I have purchased where I had to figure it out on my own is pretty large. And I hear this complaint from many others.

-My- analogy would be learning the guitar from records, vs. having a teacher and books. You -can- do it, obviously. But teachers/books/videos make it a MUCH more efficient process.

2. I don't think 'inspiration' has anything to do with it. Or maybe it does. If I wasn't 'inspired' I wouldn't have a need to create an effect with the lib. And it is -very- frustrating to have an idea in your head which you cannot efficiently communicate to your sampler.

I use pen and score paper. If I don't know a particular technique, I can go to the library, pull a score by Strauss which has that effect and presto: I'm in business. But if I don't know how to pull off the same effect with my sample lib, I have to spend a LOT of time on trial and error to achieve the same results.

I'm not against learning one's craft. OTOH, computers are supposed to be labour saving devices. There is much discussion on making -programs- more user friendly. I'm just applying the same thinking to the libs themselves.

---JC

Quote Originally Posted by PeterRoos
    I think you have two major problems:
    - You do no want to learn to master the instrument that you want to play (i.e. your sample libraries)
    - you have inspiration problems. You hope that "great" libraries, together with ample instructions will tell you how to do "it": to quickly and magically record those beautiful lines that are still half-conscious in your mind...

This work just requires a lot of study, trial and error. No such thing as a free lunch...

I would like to see the developers spend the few extra moments of programming Giga libraries to add the terms that enable quicksearch to find the libs. You know, "string", "strings", "solo", "viola". And then a quick note about any controllers, velocity splits. I'd rather not have to open the editor and reverse engineer the programming to discover the controls. Thankfully, many put the information in the name itself, which is the most easily discovered location.

It's kind of like MP3 tags. If I'm doing a quick and dirty demo, I don't bother. If I want to look professional, I take the extra minute to fill in the tags.

As far as tips and techniques go, you can learn that here - or even better, experiement to find out what sounds good to you.

-JF

Suntower,

Maybe my reaction was a bit too much insulting, I'm sorry, but I really interpreted your post as "why isn't there a cooking book with my micro-wave oven"... For serious cooking, you really don't want books like that...

I really believe you will have to find your own resources and should not hope to depend on others to include such information with their products. A few good books on orchestration are (IMHO) an absolute necessity. Stuff like panning, eq-ing, riding the mod-wheel, creating expression curves, etc. can only be hinted at from books or tutorials, but will have to be seriously practised by yourself.

Regards

JC,

Even though I feel pretty comfortable around sample libraries after all these years, I have to agree with you 100%. The problem is found with some audio software as well. For less experienced composers, it would be terrific if VSL and QLSO had tutorial videos on their websites. The thing is that many users want the manufacturers to spend most of their time editing yet-another articulation instead, or to work out the software bugs (legitimate priorities, of course).

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast