• Register
  • Help

Topic: A Short Excerpt...

Share/Bookmark

A Short Excerpt...

Guys, this was done as a favor to a great guy over at the ComposeForums. He wanted to hear a GPO rendition of his piece and I have completed about half of the song and am unable to spend any more time on it at the moment. The original is composed by Bill Sveglini. I just imported the midi file into Overture SE and made the necessary adjusments there to maximize its playback with GPO. Have a listen and keep in mind that this is not the whole of the piece. This is only 2:16 of what is a 5 minute track. Thanks to Bill for bringing us this wonderful piece and it really is a shame that I have to break for other things. I appreciate the opportunity to help, Bill.

Also, this is straight out of Studio, no adjustments made to the file other than converting it to mp3.

Enjoy...

GPO Rendition:

I Came To God by Bill Sveglini

Original post at ComposeForums that contains the midi tracks .mus files:

Compose Forum Topic

Re: A Short Excerpt...

Hey, I like it. The melody and orchestration remind me of music from 1990's video games, like Final Fantasy 8. I mean that as a compliment, and I wish more composers would write music in this style.

As for your rendition, it's hard to give advice without seeing the original score, but one thing I notice is that the reverb doesn't seem quite right--maybe back off on it a little? The other thing I notice is that the piece sounds unmixed, but I'm sure you'll be mixing it after the transcription is finished. Please do keep working on this!

Quote Originally Posted by lontas
    Hey, I like it. The melody and orchestration remind me of music from 1990's video games, like Final Fantasy 8. I mean that as a compliment, and I wish more composers would write music in this style.

As for your rendition, it's hard to give advice without seeing the original score, but one thing I notice is that the reverb doesn't seem quite right--maybe back off on it a little? The other thing I notice is that the piece sounds unmixed, but I'm sure you'll be mixing it after the transcription is finished. Please do keep working on this!
    Hi,
    I am very newbie on all music programs, began 2 weeks ago. But I am currently making my first composition ever, which is for a video game that I am doing. And my style is kinda FF ;p I will post it in 1-2 days.

lontas,

Thanks for the listen and the reply. I wonder if everyone is not posting because I'm a moderator and they don't want to offend me. Please post your comments everyone. As to the reverb, what can I say, I'm a verby person. I can lighten it up and I think this would also fix the mix. I did not master this track or even attempt to since I wanted to give Bill an idea of GPO's out of the box sound.

Saldor,

Welcome to the forum. I'm always happy to see new faces, especially videogame fans and vgm composers. Did you listen to the track?

There is a nice lightness to this piece. As for the verb and the mix, I found it quite satisfying. The verb I felt exemplified the feel of the overall piece and gave more sparkle to the instruments.
    Right out of the box? Very nice! Will he post the rest when it is finished? Thanks for posting this JB.
    Styxx

118 views and 5 posts of which 2 were my own. Boy I must really suck. I hope I didn't offend poor Bill Sveglini with my rendition of his piece.

Look, I promise I won't ban you for telling me what to improve... Okay, I can't promise that, but I'll try not to.

It certainly sounds a lot better than the original midi, especially with GPO's flute and piano. This shows off the conversion of simple midi files to GPO mp3's really well! I hope you impressed the guy you did it for, so that he will be more compelled to invest in GPO!

Go Back to forum