• Register
  • Help

Topic: USB midi and GS3

Share/Bookmark

Question USB midi and GS3

I am looking to add a Midi interface for my new GS3 system. I also would like to take advantage of the 128 midi channel spec of GS3.
    Would the M-audio midisport 8x8 USB midi interface be a decent choice??
    I know of GSIF-2 midi implementation on GS3 but I don't think any USB midi interface supports it at this point.
    I plan to use my Hammerfall 9652 audio card with the new GSIF-2 audio drivers.

many thanks

Yves

Re: USB midi and GS3

The question is what do you REALLY want to do. Unless you're going to wire things up to keyboards, why use MIDI at all. If you're just going after the GS3 polyphony chances are you're using a sequencer of some sort (either on the GS3 machine or some other box). In the former case there's no reason for a MIDI hardware port at all, in the latter perhaps one of the MIDI-over-net solutions is a better idea.

-Ron

Thanks for your reply FlyingRon .

I was planning to sequence from a Mac G5 and use Giga 3 as a standalone application on a separate PC. I am aware of MidioverLan that is now cross-platform but it seems that it's not as stable at this moment. I could be wrong though. I just thought that having a separate midi interface would give me more stability and having 8 midi ports available for Giga would mean that I could , in theory , access Giga's 128 midi channels. Obviously , 64 channels might be enough also..!
    Thanks for your help!

Yves

I use m-audio 2x4 usb midi AND m-audio 24/96 midi AND home-brew midi over lan, currently midi-yoke, for the sequencer - to - gigastudio connection with two computers. All work fine currently, and simultaneously (I mainly use the lan connections for sequencer to gigastudio, and the usb to samplitude, and the 24/96 to a hardware synthesizer).

I agree. In fact, I was checking out this board in order to thank Gugliel for pointing me in an earlier post towards the Midi Utilities collection that includes the NetMidi client and daemon utilties.

I installed GigaStudio 3 last week on a Pentium 4 @3.0GHz. However, I was running my DAW on the same machine, as well as the mLan host drivers that provide multiple digital ins and outs to and from my Yamaha Motif ES. Timing appeared to be too much of an issue between all these drivers and so I built another machine to the same specification and now use it exclusively for running GigaStudio 3.

Using the Midi Utilies I now have 8 MIDI ports from my sequencer/DAW machine to the GigaStudio one over ethernet. The multiple ports are useful because it's really easy for me to switch choirs when working with VOTA and the VOTA Utility. I load one choir into each of the first four ports (each choir requires around 10 MIDI channels, if I remember rightly). I can then select a different choir by simply changing which port I have VOTA Utility squirt its output to.

The MIDI Utilities have certainly made things easier for me, not least because it minimizes the number of cables I have running between machines.

Thanks again, Gugliel.

Regards,
    Gary O'Donnell

By the way - the Midi Utilities are available on both Windows and Unix platforms, so they're platform independent. I'm not a Mac guy, but from what I understand you ought to be able to establish the G5 to PC connection using them - they're free, so it's worth a try.

Have a look here... http://www.sreal.com:8000/~div/midi-utilities-for-unix/

Regards,
    Gary O'Donnell

Thanks for the informative posts regarding Midi and ethernet.
    It's obviously a logical choice to use that kind of Midi utility to run Midi between the sequencer and Giga. No midi cables , no interface etc etc.
    Is anyone using Musiclab's MidioverLan CP on Giga 3???

many thanks

Yves

By the way - the Midi Utilities are available on both Windows and Unix platforms, so they're platform independent. I'm not a Mac guy, but from what I understand you ought to be able to establish the G5 to PC connection using them - they're free, so it's worth a try.

Have a look here... http://www.sreal.com:8000/~div/midi-utilities-for-unix/

Regards,
    Gary O'Donnell

Sorry for the double post above...

As I mentioned, I have only recently set up the ethernet MIDI connection and have not yet verified the potential downsides. Latency may be an issue, but this might be alleviated using Gigabit ethernet.

Do a quick search on this forum for folks using alternative ethernet solutions - in my time spent browsing I have seen numerous mentions of GigaTeleport, GigaVST and others.

Regards,
    Gary O'Donnell

Not to hijack this thread, but glad the midi utilities worked for you, Mackem.

The command-line, manual start up of the 8 servers and 8 clients took a few extra moments, but I now have a small command line startup file on each end: type three letters, hit enter, and I have 8 midi ports going on ethernet virtually instantly. Type three more letters, and they are stopped instantly. I actually use something called 'mks toolkit', a unix emulation package, to run my command lines, but it should work fine in plain dos too.

Go Back to forum