• Register
  • Help

Topic: Tom Hopkins techniques on Gos stuff

Share/Bookmark

Tom Hopkins techniques on Gos stuff

Hi,

I'd like to know if some techniques Tom used on Gpo to Gos strings can be shared.
    Obviously if they are not secret

I'd like to apply them to my Gos lite samples to use the piano layers in addition to the gpo ones.

Thanks in advance

Luca

Re: Tom Hopkins techniques on Gos stuff

Most of the programming that Tom used in GPO is dependent on the Kontakt engine. For example, the short bows use automatic up/down bows using the Round Robin feature. He also used filtering and flex envelopes to get more mileage out of the samples. Giga3 includes some of these features now although I'm not sure if the filters are in the same league as the Kontakt ones. Kontakt has very flexible filters which I didn't really see in Giga3.

Another item is the legato mode. GPO uses this feature in Kontakt instead of using masking samples which gives a different result. I have yet to find this feature in Giga3.

The current programming in Giga 2.5 pretty much pushed Giga as far as it would go.

Hi Haydn,
    thanks for your fast response, but I'm afraid I was not clair in my question, sorry.
    I'd like to know some of the eq techniques used on the samples. The eq settings in kontakt affect mainly the mod wheel, as far as I see them.

Thanks
    Luca

Other samplers have round-robin sample selection and envelope-driven filters. Just describe the techniques and let us worry about making them work.

I think some of the string samples have a cut around 3 khz over the general samples. The muted strings have stronger EQ settings which I haven't really checked out. Then there is a lowpass filter controlled by modulation which works with volume control. This varies per instrument. Many of the sounds have multiple programming options going at the same time so I can't give you any definite answer on exact settings.

Luca,

Actually, I’m not willing to delve too deeply into this publicly. Are there programming secrets? No. What is not so obvious is the reason for each of the decisions. I’m going to keep that largely to myself for professional reasons. In general terms:

Dynamic EQ has been applied to work in tandem with volume. The type of EQ and the manner of application was determined by comparison to recordings of real instruments under dynamically changing conditions. The application varies with instrument type. Brass instruments, for instance, have a much wider range of timbre change with volume than woodwinds.

In the case of the GOS strings, the type of programming I’ve used in GPO is not available in Giga 2.5. This applies to many things including legato layer offsets, EQ filter types, flex envelopes, controller assignment routings, and other things. I have not yet examined Giga 3.0 to see how this has changed. You COULD use GPO type programming if you imported GOS into the full version of Kontakt and then used my programming as a guide to achieve similar results.

I’ll make one small correction to what Haydn said in his last post: I rarely used low pass filters, preferring instead to use 1, 2, and 3 band parametric EQs with various parameters modulated. “EQ gain” was the parameter tied to volume modulation. Haydn is quite correct about the simultaneous use of many different programming options. Many of the parameters are interactive (even between modules) and must be balanced to achieve the desired results. I realize that this doesn’t help much but decisions concerning complex parameter interactions were determined on an instrument-by-instrument basis.

If you wish to pursue this in more detail, feel free to contact me privately.

Tom

Thanks Haydn for your reply.

Tom:
    thanks, I posted that because I love most of the work you did with strings, expecially the sus1 violins and cellos. my intent was to better blend together the two libraries, applying them same eq settings (not in Kontakt) on samples, but I understand that an unique reply won't fit for all instruments.

Don't want to annoy you with pm's, thanks the same for the kind response .

Luca

Luca,

Unfortunately, GPO-like EQ is one of the main things that can't be duplicated in Giga 2.5. It doesn't have parametric EQ (again, I haven't seen what v3.0 has).

PMs aren't annoying (not usually, anyway).

Tom

GS3 has 4 band EQ, random and alternate control, etc., so you should be able to emulate a good deal of the Kontakt techniques that Tom used. I think you can program changes on the fly in GS3 and save changes in gsp files without having to enter the Giga Editor or having to save alternate gig files.

BillC

I believe the 4 band EQ is part of the DSP section and not in the actual editor in Giga3. I haven't played with the editor much because the darn thing keeps crashing on me! Plus they don't have the editor in the manual. This is one of the things many users requested. They were bragging on how great the manual was going to be but I find it lacking.

Go Back to forum