• Register
  • Help

Topic: Volunteer wanted to do simple test with EMU APS soundcard.

Share/Bookmark

Volunteer wanted to do simple test with EMU APS soundcard.

Hi,
    I'm seeking a volunteer to do a simple test for me, with the old EMU "APS" soundcard. It would involve loading a very small soundfont (which I would supply), recording a single note, and sending me the recording. If you
    can help me, or know someone who can, please either reply here, or email me directly at greg.sullivan@computer.org.

Thanks in advance,
    Greg.

Re: Volunteer wanted to do simple test with EMU APS soundcard.

Hey SullivanG , i -don't- have the EMU APS soundcard but i have a Live! and a Audigy2 and involved in soundfonts generally . What is it about ? If you need anything , let me know .

Quote Originally Posted by Theodor
    Hey SullivanG , i -don't- have the EMU APS soundcard but i have a Live! and a Audigy2 and involved in soundfonts generally . What is it about ? If you need anything , let me know .
    Theodor,
    Thanks, but it has to be the APS. I've already tested the Audigy (not sure which version - I'll check), and the Live, and I know how they behave. I need to test the APS, specifically.

It's about attack transient reproduction. There's a bit of a grey area here. The Soundfont specification seems to recommend that the minimum attack time and the minimum initial delay time are both 1ms. However, the description of both parameters in the body of the specification seems to allow for zero values for both. Some software Soundfont players limit either/both to 1ms, even if the Soundfont has zero values. Others honour the zero values.

Both the Audigy and Live honour the zero values, if my testing has been done properly. I want to know how the APS behaves.

Ideally, I'd like to be able to convince the authors of all Soundfont players to honour the zero values, if present in the Soundfont. Adding silence to the beginning of samples just so the attack transients can be reproduced faithfully seems awfully backward - we're all gunning for *less* latency, not more. ;^)

Greg.

Try posting on Sf2-midi.com as well Sullivan, there might be somebody with an APS over there. Good luck

Will do - thanks.

Greg.

Go Back to forum