• Register
  • Help

Topic: Giga 3 Polyphony count and more

Share/Bookmark

Giga 3 Polyphony count and more

I'm running Giga 3 on a pentium 4 - 3ghz machine with 2 gigs of ram, an internal drive and two 7200rpm 160gigabyte drives in a raid for streaming.

I noticed that if you change the polyphony setting and hit apply it doesn't take effect until you restart gigastudio. I jacked it up to 600 voices (and laughed to myself) after holding the sustain pedal and recording every note possible, (with some pounding on the controller) on a vsl string instrument and the giga 2 piano and playing it back, it seemed to peak at 384 voices. I'm pretty new to gigastudio in general, only been using v 2.5 for 3 months but it seems fairly impressive. This may be a stupid question but is this a reliable means of determining what I might expect out of my voice count? Also, would more ram allow more voices on a system like this or is it pretty much about the processor speed with 2 gigs of ram?

3. I also noticed a solo bug in stacking. I ended up unchecking solo but everything was still muted, this happened a couple of times. You can still hit the mute button (by accident) on an already muted track (because another track is solo'd) and in doing so a few times, it seems to have geeked-out. anyone else notice this?

thanks
    My Gear:
    Sonica P3 w/ 2 gigs ramm, 300+gigs 7200rpm raid, giga 160, RME Hammerfall HDSP 96, VSL Orch. Cube, NI complete 2 AU, dual 800 G4, os 10.2.8, dp 4.12au, motu M5 1.08, waves platinum 4.3x, uad 3.5.1 Spectrasonics Stylus & Atmosphere (AU versions) 1.25 gigs ram, miromotion dc30+ vid capture crd, motu pci 424 G5 card, midi exprss xt

Re: Giga 3 Polyphony count and more

Quote Originally Posted by acoustech
    Also, would more ram allow more voices on a system like this or is it pretty much about the processor speed with 2 gigs of ram?
    thanks
    no more ram would not change anything. more then 2gb is not necessary anyway, gigastudio canot load more then lets say 1,2gb-1,3gb into msg.exe.

"cpu speed" thats a hard question. somehow it actually only should be the disk troughput but the sounds need to be streamed, mixed and played back to the soundcard etc. etc. so its the cpu, the disk performance, the speed of the memory, the streaming from the northbridge into chache, cpu, memory and so on.
    Digital AudionetworX

Want more voices? Go for a Raptor or SCSI RAID. CPU is secondary to hard drive speed.

-JF

Quote Originally Posted by JonFairhurst
    Want more voices? Go for a Raptor or SCSI RAID. CPU is secondary to hard drive speed.

-JF
    good to know, thanks!
    My Gear:
    Sonica P3 w/ 2 gigs ramm, 300+gigs 7200rpm raid, giga 160, RME Hammerfall HDSP 96, VSL Orch. Cube, NI complete 2 AU, dual 800 G4, os 10.2.8, dp 4.12au, motu M5 1.08, waves platinum 4.3x, uad 3.5.1 Spectrasonics Stylus & Atmosphere (AU versions) 1.25 gigs ram, miromotion dc30+ vid capture crd, motu pci 424 G5 card, midi exprss xt

Go Back to forum