• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Topic: OT:Musics & Film scoring without musical studies

Share/Bookmark

Smile OT:Musics & Film scoring without musical studies

Hi, you know if there is some famous composers for film music without musical studies? is possible?

Thanks.

Re: OT:Musics & Film scoring without musical studies

It is possible to be successful in music in almost any genres without formal training. However, the more knowledge you have of your field, the more chances you have to succeed.
    If you are thinking of giving scoring for movies a shot, why not implement a strategy including music theory and orchestration. There's this saying in french that goes: "Qui peut le plus, peux le moins" : One that can do more, can do less.
    On the other hand, you could specialize in ambient scores and never learn a single thing about music theory. The only thing is, the day you're called for something besides ambient, you'd be forced to turn the gig down. Not a good thing when you need every gig you can get in order to pay the bills...

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

It's possible to do anything, since humans are pretty incredible beings.

Echoing what Pat said, people who get less training and exposure may have trouble switching gears. That said, establishing a unique sound, and being the "go to" person for that sound is the way many hit sounds have blasted onto the scene.

The risk, of course, is those who are trained to know what makes that unique sound, and who can discern it, can knock it off. So, unless a person can reinvent himself over and over, being a one-trick pony only gets you so far.

Quote Originally Posted by buluba
    Hi, you know if there is some famous composers for film music without musical studies?
    Do you mean without going to school, or without studying at all? ;-) I believe it is possible to study on your own and become successful without getting a degree in music, especially with books like Peter Alexander's Writing for Strings and Paul Gilreath's Guide to MIDI Orchestration available. I think the most successful composers are the ones that studied mostly on their own anyway...

How to compose for film with no training whatsoever? Become a big pop star. Get to know people in Hollywood. Get a deal to put "your sound" into a film (and "your name" on the credits). Realize that you are over your head and hire someone to ghost for you.

-JF

I'm surprised Danny Elfman's name hasn't popped up yet. He's easily the most glaring example of an academically untrained musician hitting it huge in film.

Quote Originally Posted by JonFairhurst
    How to compose for film with no training whatsoever? Become a big pop star. Get to know people in Hollywood. Get a deal to put "your sound" into a film (and "your name" on the credits). Realize that you are over your head and hire someone to ghost for you.

-JF

Talking Re: OT:Musics & Film scoring without musical studies

Quote Originally Posted by P de Caumette
    If you are thinking of giving scoring for movies a shot, why not implement a strategy including music theory and orchestration. There's this saying in french that goes: "Qui peut le plus, peux le moins" : One that can do more, can do less.
    I´m a guitar player,(piano, a bit), I understand the music theory.About the orchestration, is a big world where all days be born news concept and die others.
    I think:Is possible make quality music with a bit of knowledge.

I´m Thomas Newman fan and I think what American Beauty Score is a example about "the new concepts", textures, etc.

Not to forget Hans Zimmer, whose total formal training consists of 2 weeks of piano lessons.

Quote Originally Posted by audiophile
    Not to forget Hans Zimmer, whose total formal training consists of 2 weeks of piano lessons.
    I think he's the one that was mentioned above.

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast