• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: music for theatre production 'Machinal'

Share/Bookmark

music for theatre production 'Machinal'

Here is some new music i've done for a play. They are all transition(set change) pieces. The play is called 'machinal' - the plot goes:

1. woman who works in office begrudgingly marries her boss who disgusts her
    2. has baby - enters deep depression
    3. meets lover from below the rio grande and has affair
    4. murders husband
    5. is electricuted

http://www.samgreene.com/music.php

I did music for a student run play last semester - this is my main stage debut. I've been offered future work on a contract basis! exciting.

Any comments are appreciated.

my setup:
    eMagic Logic Audio
    athlon xp 2ghz 512mb
    RME Multiface
    Presonus Digimax

Re: music for theatre production 'Machinal'

Congratulations on getting the contract. That's exciting!

I listened to all nine selections from "machinal" and enjoyed all of them. Very unique and I liked the various scenes you portrayed with your music. Imaginative writing and fabulous textures and blending of orchestral with FX and electronica.

I would love to see the play (any chance of it in the pacific NW?) Is this the same Machinal written in 1927 by Sophie Treadwell based on the murder trial of Ruth Snyder?

Thank you for posting this and thanks also for the mention of GPO on your website.

Gary Garritan

Quote Originally Posted by sagreene
    Here is some new music i've done for a play. They are all transition(set change) pieces. The play is called 'machinal' - the plot goes:

1. woman who works in office begrudgingly marries her boss who disgusts her
    2. has baby - enters deep depression
    3. meets lover from below the rio grande and has affair
    4. murders husband
    5. is electricuted

http://www.samgreene.com/music.php

I did music for a student run play last semester - this is my main stage debut. I've been offered future work on a contract basis! exciting.

Any comments are appreciated.

my setup:
    eMagic Logic Audio
    athlon xp 2ghz 512mb
    RME Multiface
    Presonus Digimax

I like the 'Mach 2' It reminds me of 'God Speed you Black Emperor' and 'Unkle'. Great work.

I've just finished a production of 'Macbeth' in Hong Kong and I'll get some of the work posted soon. I'm currently doing a production of Thornton Wilder's 'Our Town'.

I was at aloss as to what to write for the new play but after listening to your work I am freshly inspired... Thank you.

Chiseen,

Quote Originally Posted by Chiseen

I've just finished a production of 'Macbeth' in Hong Kong and I'll get some of the work posted soon. I'm currently doing a production of Thornton Wilder's 'Our Town'.

I was at aloss as to what to write for the new play but after listening to your work I am freshly inspired... Thank you.
    It is so good to hear Sagreene's work has inspired you (it certainly is inspiring!). It is very satisfying to know that this forum can be a vehicle for learning and inspiration.

I would like to hear some of your work for the musical theatre sometime. GPO is being used in various theatrical performances and I would like to hear your experience. Of course, if there is any way we can be of assistance please let us know.

Gary Garritan

Gary,

Thanks so much for the comments....and moreso for GPO.

The play will be opening the first of this month and will run for a week. You'll have to make a visit to Southern New Mexico to see it!

Yes, it is by Sophie Treadwell - but the director has taken some major liberties with the script. Firstly the main character is portrayed by 4 actors! Then, while she and her lover are in bed they break into a rendition of 'it's my life' (the pop song). I'm a bit disappointed about that and the effect that it may have on the play. Also I think a few of the actual transitions are shorter that my pieces - as I wasn't given any lengths, so I'm anticipating some of them being cut off before they have time to really develop.

I've also learned I MAY be offered the a position as resident sound designer. Hopefully I don't get in over my head

Sam

Quote Originally Posted by Garritan
    Congratulations on getting the contract. That's exciting!

I listened to all nine selections from "machinal" and enjoyed all of them. Very unique and I liked the various scenes you portrayed with your music. Imaginative writing and fabulous textures and blending of orchestral with FX and electronica.

I would love to see the play (any chance of it in the pacific NW?) Is this the same Machinal written in 1927 by Sophie Treadwell based on the murder trial of Ruth Snyder?

Thank you for posting this and thanks also for the mention of GPO on your website.

Gary Garritan

Thanks NeoTypic,

6 was done improv with the singer...i just started playing the strings and then we dubbed her - and again - and it was done. about 10 minutes flat.

It seemed so easy to make these little blasts of music...not having to connect sections together. Everything came so quickly.

I've just uploaded an updated version of the curtain call music , track 9. Used a bit of the vocalist chopped up - added some more strings and a nice long fade out.

Oh yeah(random bit of info coming up) one of my favorite new effects i've found - supaTrigger - i got it free somewhere and used it on this project in a few places. It slices up any track into pieces and randomly rearranges them, slows them down, reverses them. Great for that glitchy ApexTwin sound. It's at the end of track 9 now.

I'm glad you enjoyed it! Like anyone else, I love reading comments - especially good ones - so thanks for listening

Sam

Quote Originally Posted by neoTypic
    Tracks 1, 6, and 9 are my current favourites, but all of them are wonderful.

wow. that makes me feel good
    I'd love to hear what you come up with !

Quote Originally Posted by Chiseen

Gary and all,

I had a conversation with Joseph Burrell a couple of weeks ago about posting/hosting some of my music but then the shadow of Macbeth descended on me (Endless rehearsals). Can I have some help i.e. hosting to put some music up?

Cheers.

I'll give you a listen to the 'Our Town' stuff once the play is over.

Chiseen, I have uploaded it to my server and emailed you the link. It may not have gone, so if you don't mind I will PM it to you.

OK thanks Joseph, By the way I heard your piece for the 'art of the sabre'. How did you do the chior ? Was it a sample library?

Chiseen

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast