• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: GPO Steinway velocity

Share/Bookmark

GPO Steinway velocity

I think I am having more trouble playing soft passages than I should.

I had not looked into it because i assumed that it was related to too few velocity layers, but as Joseph Burrell pointed out to me elsewhere that should be taken care of by the interpolations performed by the processor(not his words!).

I would first suspect my own fingers except that I am not aware of this problem with the other GPO instruments nor with other, inferior, piano libs.

My Kurzweil PC88MX KB has parameters such as "touch" and "velocity" and I have started playing with those, but other thoughts are much appreciated.

Tom?

Thanks,

Ed

Re: GPO Steinway velocity

Quote Originally Posted by Edi
    I think I am having more trouble playing soft passages than I should.
    Hi Ed,
    From the qualitative aspect, what's the nature of the trouble?

From the quantitative, you might take a look at what velocity values the Kurzweil is generating. If you're using a sequencer that supports MFX, there's a tool call Port Diag here that can show you the midi data stream. Or Midi OX.
    Bill

I find on my Roland keyboard I get a nice even response. Try playing with velocity response setttings on your Kurzweil.

Edi,

I'm only chiming in here to tell you that Bill and Haydn have given you the same advice I would have offered. I'll add: The response is also smooth on my Fatar controller (to be expected since the piano was designed using that keyboard).

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Hopkins
    Edi,

I'm only chiming in here to tell you that Bill and Haydn have given you the same advice I would have offered. I'll add: The response is also smooth on my Fatar controller (to be expected since the piano was designed using that keyboard).

Tom
    You must be doing something I have not learned yet. I have a Fatar, 88 note, Studio 90. I get smooth enough expression, probably, but rather a compressed range of dynamics. I have tested it using Sonar, getting a readout of the velocity levels, and they look okay. Perhaps I am expecting too much? Or perhaps I have something to learn? It may be that as a cost saving measure, the number of velocity layers is limited? I don't mean this as a criticism of GPO, which I think is great, and at least two people have recently bought it based heavily on my recommendation. I just want to know how to handle it.

Richard Wayland

Richard,

The total dynamic range of the piano was determined using a wide variety of jazz and classical files. I went with the range that gave the most natural overall results with those files. Wider dynamic range tended to create the “receding” piano effect for the softest passages. This I wished to avoid so a compromise setting was chosen. Had it been possible at that time I would have given users adjustable control over the dynamic range setting. Unfortunately, this parameter was not available for MIDI control in the Kontakt player. Two ways to get around this:

1. Since all parameters are available for editing in the full version of Kontakt, dynamic range can be altered by moving the velocity slider. For those who have Kontakt and would like to experiment with this I would suggest moving the slider to about “80” as a start. This will risk giving the “receding” piano effect under some conditions but may be more comfortable for certain keyboards and velocity curves.

2. The coming update will provide a new adjustable option.

Tom

Richard,

2. The coming update will provide a new adjustable option.

Tom
    Okay, sounds good to me. It's always helpful to know the reasoning behind the workings. One more reason to be antsy about the update?

Thanks.

Richard Wayland

Richard,

1. Since all parameters are available for editing in the full version of Kontakt, dynamic range can be altered by moving the velocity slider. For those who have Kontakt and would like to experiment with this I would suggest moving the slider to about “80” as a start.

Tom
    Tom,

I don't know my way around the KONTAKT params very well. Are you referring to the velocity slider in the Amplifier window?

Thanks,

Ed

Ed,

Yes. Make sure you have the "edit all" button active near the top, below the "loop editor" button. Move the velocity slider to the right. Remember to save your work.

Tom

Yes, I agree with T. Hopkins.

When you have further troubles with velocity/fatar please look here:

http://www.northernsounds.com/forum/...velocity+fatar

Go Back to forum