• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Topic: Anyone else feel like they paid to be a beta tester...

Share/Bookmark

Anyone else feel like they paid to be a beta tester...

I posted yesterday about how stable everything was running... Well, I spoke too soon. On upon loading my third instance of Gigapulse I got this weird pulsating frequency that started really quietly and built up until it threatened to destroy my headphones. I still don't understand what that was all about. Then I was listening to a mix and wanted to adjust my Gigapulse settings, I clicked on Edit and wham BSOD. Next, while using a VST reverb due to the instability of GP, I clicked on the NFX delay plugin and wham BSOD. Geeze. Also, I thought GP was supposed to be CPU friendly, yeah. My 2.6 couldn't keep up sometimes. And don't get me started on the included library. Eww. I love the Bosendorfer though. That was worth the fifty bucks I guess...

Whoosh, fifty bucks down the toilet until this thing is more stable on my end. I guess I'll keep chugging along in Kontakt for now. Too bad.

Re: Anyone else feel like they paid to be a beta tester...

I assume that GigaPulse is alot folks first experience with convolution plugins. If so, you will soon realize that it takes TONS of number crunching !! Sure, it shouldnt push the system to a BSOD - but, we are talking about windows !!!

I have used both Altiverb and Space Designer (on a mac) - yet, both ae optimized for the G5, yet they demand tons of power.

Now, im glad i only upgraded to the Ensemble edition.

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

Is that a constant thing, or could something have destabilized the system (not that it wouldn't be a bug for that to happen) and this was more of a one-shot issue?

I'm producing pretty constantly on a less-capable system, and have not had that specific of a problem come up. I've probably seen about three crashes, give or take, in several weeks of production.

For sure, the best way to get some resolution would be to identify any specific pattern of behavior that causes the system to crash. For sure, when you get out of things that the developers can control (i.e., their own plugins) and get into the VST plugin population in general, there is just no way that a beta team, no matter how large, could ever approach loading all the potential combinations of factors that the general user base will encounter.

Your input, especially as someone who is technically astute, would be valuable if you have the time and inclination to track what causes problems on your system. In practice, at least my own, you shouldn't be encountering rabid instability.

The list of 'known issues' alone could give one pause. So far GS3 has been very stable for me. The only lock up or BSOD issues I've had are will Gigapulse -- and to be fair that is when trying to push the system to see what it would do (five GP instances on a 2.4 P4 -- not bad I guess!)

But other than general stability, let's take stock, and re-write what the advertising for GS3 should have said:

(Tascam) -- "Now with Rewire capability!"
    (Unless you want to use a most important function - audio capture!)

(Tascam) -- "Great new Imidi rules for alternation and Legato!"
    (Does not work with some controllers or sequencers...)

(Tascam) -- "New stacked instrument functionality!"
    (Causes audio artifacts!)

(Tascam) -- "GSIF-2 for even lower latency and audio input capability."
    (Not offered by many (most) popular sound card providers!)

(Tascam) -- "Includes Chickensys Giga Translator"
    (Not included with any copy of Gigastudio!)

(Tascam) -- "Use your VST effects inside Gigastudio!"
    (Doesn't include use of many effects you actually use or want, including Powercore..."

(Tascam) -- "Enhanced Capture To Wave!"
    (Warning, may cause BSOD!)

(Tascam) -- "Revolutionary convolution modeling and RI via Gigapulse!"
    (Your state of the art processor is not fast enough...)

(Tascam) -- "We have heard your complaints, and have streamlined our registration process!"
    ("Your CD-key is in the mail!")

(Tascam) -- "Only $50 to upgrade to GS3 Orchestra!"
    (Unless you live anywhere outside of the US...")

Well, that about covers it, I think. This is done in jest, of course, and so far I do really like the upgrade. Gigapulse does sound fantastic, and I love the idea of body RI -- but it is a CPU monster, and does create instability on my system. The new UI is cool, and the feature set is nice. But if you look at pretty much every major announced feature, I and others have experienced some sort of major problem. Does that make us Beta Testers? You decide...

Regards,

David

Quote Originally Posted by Existence
    The list of 'known issues' alone could give one pause. So far GS3 has been very stable for me. The only lock up or BSOD issues I've had are will Gigapulse -- and to be fair that is when trying to push the system to see what it would do (five GP instances on a 2.4 P4 -- not bad I guess!)

But other than general stability, let's take stock, and re-write what the advertising for GS3 should have said:

(Tascam) -- "Now with Rewire capability!"
    (Unless you want to use a most important function - audio capture!)

(Tascam) -- "Great new Imidi rules for alternation and Legato!"
    (Does not work with some controllers or sequencers...)

(Tascam) -- "New stacked instrument functionality!"
    (Causes audio artifacts!)

(Tascam) -- "GSIF-2 for even lower latency and audio input capability."
    (Not offered by many (most) popular sound card providers!)

(Tascam) -- "Includes Chickensys Giga Translator"
    (Not included with any copy of Gigastudio!)

(Tascam) -- "Use your VST effects inside Gigastudio!"
    (Doesn't include use of many effects you actually use or want, including Powercore..."

(Tascam) -- "Enhanced Capture To Wave!"
    (Warning, may cause BSOD!)

(Tascam) -- "Revolutionary convolution modeling and RI via Gigapulse!"
    (Your state of the art processor is not fast enough...)

(Tascam) -- "We have heard your complaints, and have streamlined our registration process!"
    ("Your CD-key is in the mail!")

(Tascam) -- "Only $50 to upgrade to GS3 Orchestra!"
    (Unless you live anywhere outside of the US...")

Well, that about covers it, I think. This is done in jest, of course, and so far I do really like the upgrade. Gigapulse does sound fantastic, and I love the idea of body RI -- but it is a CPU monster, and does create instability on my system. The new UI is cool, and the feature set is nice. But if you look at pretty much every major announced feature, I and others have experienced some sort of major problem. Does that make us Beta Testers? You decide...

Regards,

David
    David, I appreciate your honesty. I`m considering waiting for the fist bug fix update before i install GS3. Right now i finally go 2.5 going pretty solid. Thanks for the update ..Rich

Well I think that is with any new product that is out there. How many of us have the exact same hardware?
    There are so many hardware configurations that we are the ones left to test them all.

Quote Originally Posted by SWL
    but, we are talking about windows !!!
    come on! please... this is just nonsense
    Digital AudionetworX

Quote Originally Posted by Existence
    This is done in jest, of course, and so far I do really like the upgrade.
    I've got to tell you man, you may have been jesting but what you wrote read like an obit to me. Like Freud said, a joke is man's way of conveying otherwise painful truths.

Judging from the general feedback, I, like a quite a few others, will probably hang back for a year or so while Tascam get the message from you "betas" and tighten the screws. You should demand a commission!

Bruce, they seem to be one shot deals so far. I really don't want to incur to many of GS3's wrathful BSOD's, so I'm thinking of stepping off for a bit. I wasn't pushing the system overly hard. I could give this a try tonight or tomorrow to see if this is reproducable. I mean Gigapulse is their first foray into this kind of technology so it is reasonable to expect some buggy occurances. Anyway, the processor usage for a convolution plug in isn't that far off what I'd expect, but it was touted as CPU friendly so I just assumed that the CPU performance would be improved over other plugins. This doesn't seem to be the case yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Digital AudionetworX
    come on! please... this is just nonsense
    NO ! Its called reality -- never seen a BSOD on a mac - and in the 12 months of having this G5 - it has only locked up TWICE !!!!

Go Back to forum