• Register
  • Help

Topic: GigaPulse setup (Template help)

Share/Bookmark

GigaPulse setup (Template help)

Hi... I'm about to set up my GS3 template. I would love tips on how to set up an orchestra, how many GP instances to load and which. Also the amount of instances one can load might also affect which instuments to load on which computers. For instances would it be smart to setup for instance a close left setup for violins and other insturments in that area?

Please give me some tips on how´and where to start... I dont want to set up a giant template only to find I should have done it differently to begin with... I dont mind learning from others mistakes, rather than make my own

Re: GigaPulse setup (Template help)

My basic template for sequencing is pretty simple:

Port 1 gets percussion, including piano. I use channel 16 for a click track using the GM500 drums notes F6 and E6.

Port 2 is string ensembles. 2 violins, 1 viola, 1 cello, 1 bass. With VGS I stack the staccato 1&2 with the sustain-mod-wheel patches. I then use the mod wheel to control sustain and velocity to control the attack. Oh yeah, harp on channel 6.

Port 3 is woodwinds, one after the other.

Port 4 is brass solo & ensemble. I stack the brass ensembles similar to the strings above.

This template is for playing the layers in live one at a time. I add one GP articulation in a "group" with the medium hall. I point everything but the click track and any wet instruments to that group.

There are lots of channels left for other instruments and articulations. You can then drop in stuff to taste depending on how many instruments you are able to load and what you need. I save my performances in the same directory where I keep the specific MIDI/project file and where I will render that audio.

GS3 loads instruments much faster than GS2.5 ever did. I find that I don't care about templates as much, since I can drop in a new instrument about as fast as I can add the new track to the sequencer. Having a starting template can be helpful, but being free of templates after that can lend more creative choices.

-JF

Much of this will be dependent on the capabilities of your system. A fast, fast CPU on a clean machine should get you a number of active instances of GP. If this is the case, and you are sorting for orchestra, you can start to think of creating a virtual sound stage out of GP, and tying mic location to impulse locations for each section of the orchestra. If this is the case, you would call up a number of instances with the same GP preset loaded.

Prior to this, for writing and noodling purposes, a group of instruments routed through the DSP console to a single stereo instance of GP should get you up and running. That way, you can change your focus from instrument selection and instrument placement to GP presets and tweaking, until you arrive at what sounds best to you. (Personally, my favorite IR is the basic 'Medium Hall' -- sounds the most natural, and with CPU limitations has seemed to work best.)

As to setting up a sample template in GS, Jon made some nice suggestions, and this will really depend on how you like to work and how you are scoring (playing live via a keyboard controller, drawing midi notes in a sequencer, etc.) GS3 does load instruments much faster than 2.54, so you might be more inclined to use a more sparse template of your essentials, and then augment as needed or as creativity takes you.

David,

Glad to hear that I'm not the only medium hall fan. For me it's just right for an orchestra. It's wet enough to make an impact, but not soggy.

I can't wait to get more CPU power. I'm going to wait until I hear about more people with success on the Athlon64/Opteron family. Not that I've heard about lots of problems on the CPUs; it's just that the sample size is still pretty small. For Christmas one of my kids will get a brand new homebuilt PC - with my AMD 2500+ and Asus MB inside.

For seating an orchestra, I think six instances would be perfect - center front/rear, right front/rear and left front/rear. I'd do the two seat / two mic thing for each. Then you can use pan & width to place the instruments within each sector. You could also send, say, the second violins to both front and rear sectors to express the size and depth of the section.

So much to explore, so little time, so few CPU cycles...

-JF

For seating an orchestra, I think six instances would be perfect - center front/rear, right front/rear and left front/rear. I'd do the two seat / two mic thing for each. Then you can use pan & width to place the instruments within each sector. You could also send, say, the second violins to both front and rear sectors to express the size and depth of the section.
    Yeah - Its something like that I meant. Now I just need to find out how GP works

Btw, I tried the large hall and hear absolutely no difference between mic pos, but I hear pleanty of difference in medium hall.
    --------------------------------------------------------

If one uses more that one Giga system. Would it then be smart to have say two gigapulse instances on each (i.e center front/back) and then only load patches which are in the front or back on that machine?

Quote Originally Posted by Marcussen
    Btw, I tried the large hall and hear absolutely no difference between mic pos, but I hear pleanty of difference in medium hall.
    That makes sense. The big hall has so much resonance that all the mics pic up a lot of echo.

Quote Originally Posted by Marcussen
    If one uses more that one Giga system. Would it then be smart to have say two gigapulse instances on each (i.e center front/back) and then only load patches which are in the front or back on that machine?
    That would make sense. Otherwise, with only a single machine, you're looking at multiple passes - or you can just run everything through an instance or two and say "good enough!".

-JF

Go Back to forum