• Register
  • Help

Topic: When will the next update be?

Share/Bookmark

When will the next update be?

I would absolutely love to use DFD, but cannot with the problems with the cpu peaking on every new note.
    These new big files being released will require DFD and at the moment it is useless.
    Chris

Re: When will the next update be?

I would like to second this request for an estimated date for fixing the CPU overload problem with DFD. I had been eagerly awaiting Kontakt 1.2 because I wanted to use it with some of the excellent sound libraries previously available only in Giga format (such as the Bardstown and Post pianos and the Scarbee bass libraries). However, I can\'t afford to buy these libraries only to find that I can\'t use them. I will certainly hold off any purchases until getting a clear idea about what NI is planning to do about this issue.

Just to clarify, I am not starting a flame or anything, as I love Kontakt! I am just trying to plan out studio purchases for the short term and want to know where NI stands on the next update.

Thanks
    Chris

Hi Chris,

we have also read a thread on our NI forum about the CPU peak problem with streaming but it only seems to occur with Sonar and Kontakt 1.2 .

Can you please send me an email where you exactly describe which system configuration you use (computer, host, etc.) so we can try to reproduce the problem. This would greatly help to figure out what the exact problem is so we can solve it asap.

Thanks and sorry for this problem.

Best regards,

Martin

Martin,
    I did not see an email address for you anywhere, so here is my setup.
    Mac G4 800mhz (Quicksilver 2002)
    1.25 gig ram
    OS 9.2.2
    Digital Performer 9.11
    Samples streaming off of IDE 1 drive 2.

I don\'t have a performance meter to check spikes running Kontakt in a standalone format, but on the PC I don\'t seem to be spiking, but get much less polyphony. The problem occures no matter what buffer settings I use.

My email is chris@dragonwind.org if you wish to continue off list.

Thanks,
    Chris

we have also read a thread on our NI forum about the CPU peak problem with streaming but it only seems to occur with Sonar and Kontakt 1.2
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">I am having CPU overload problems when trying to use the DFD feature, butI am not using Sonar - I am using Cubase VST 5.1r1. In fact, the problem also occurs when I use Kontakt 1.2 in standalone mode. I posted this information on the NI user forum several days ago; and on that forum there have been several posts by other individuals having the same problem, using both Macs and PCs, and DP and Sonar as a sequencer. In other words, the problem is not platform or sequencer specific.

Sorry if I sound exasperated, but users have been reporting this problem since virtually the day the 1.2 update was released. NI just doesn\'t seem to be listening.

I also find it curious that NI representatives are so willing to respond to posts in this forum, but are largely absent from their own user forum. What gives?

Hi Chris,

\"I also find it curious that NI representatives are so willing to respond to posts in this forum, but are largely absent from their own user forum. What gives?\"

There are moderators for each section of the forum and those are the ones who should answer these questions. I have to see why the moderator of the Kontakt Forum did not answer or seems to be quiet.

I want to support this forum because I think its the forum where most of the developers and pro-users meet. Unfortunately I do not have the time to moderate more than this and the sound line forum at NI. It takes a lot of time to read and answer emails on our user forum as there are hundreds of mails every day. I rather prefer to concentrate on one forum and spend the rest of time for development.

Concerning the CPU problem I will tell the beta department to recheck as long until they found the problem. I´ll also check this on my machine.

Which samples/instruments did you use ?

Do the CPU peaks occur after some time (build up of cpu load) or with specific instruments (with release triggered samples for example) ?

Thanks for the input.

Best,

Martin

Martin,
    The CPU spikes occure at the attack of the sound. It also does not matter what samples I am using. I have tested with a number of different sounds including FM7 samples and Piano samples from the Kontakt content CDs and even the small harp sound from AO. The peaks get worse as more polyphony gets triggered it seems, but it doesn\'t take much (about 8-10 and the spikes will clip the cpu). Increasing the buffer to allow a large portion of the sample to play from ram does not help, only disabling DFD completely stops the problem.
    I hope this helps and thank you for looking into this. Much appreciated.
    Chris

hi.

i am a qualtiy assurance tester for kontakt.

okay we have realized that there are serious problems in sonar.
    here the cpu raises constantly (dfd and sampler).

on the other hand you guys reported also problems under mac and on pc standalone.
    i think that the sonar cpu bug is different to the non sonar cpu bug.

what we need are exact informations on your settings.
    it is also important to distinguish between dfd bufferunderrun(when the streaming LED becomes red) and real cpu peaks. please don\'t mix them up.

does the cpu peaks occur on maximum dfd buffer settings ?
    do you have large loops in your instruments ?
    does the peaks occur only in dfd or also in sampler mode ?

we know that in dfd mode there are problems with large loops, but they shouldn\'t result in cpu peaks.

<The CPU spikes occure at the attack of the sound
    are you sure chris ?
    and the peaks disappear when in sustain state ?

it becomes more strange every minute [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

thx for your help

robert

OK, first here is the exact CPU spiking issue.
    I just tested with the sixstring fm7 sample from the content CD and a non looped SAM Horn sample. I played a 5 note chord and the CPU meter on DP instantly jumps from about 8% to 85% then settles back down to a wavering 10-20% until the sound is complete or I let go of the keys. The spikes get less severe as I lower the disk buffer settings I just discovered, however, these low settings (96k and less) result in a polyphony of about 3-5 before the disk light pegs out.
    I am not confusing disk clipping with CPU clipping. The obvious way to avoid disk clipping is to raise the buffer, but again results in severe CPU spikes.
    Disabling DFD and playing the same 5 note chord only brings the CPU meter to about 15% with no wavering or spiking.

This is my exact rig:
    Mac Quicksilver 2002 800mhz
    1.25 Gig ram
    3 total hard drives. One is partitioned for OSX and OS9. One is for audio recording, and the 3rd is for samples, which is a 13gig drive on ata0 ID 1.
    OS 9.2.2 Digital Performer 3.11
    No 3rd party plugins, just the standard ones that come with DP.
    All extentions are on other than speach.
    I also use OMS Emulator for communication with Reason, but the CPU issues are there without Reason running.
    ATI 7000 video card
    MOTU Micro Express via USB
    no firewire connections
    M Audio Delta 1010 set to 512k buffer.

Logitech mouse and standard Mac keboard.

If you need more detail than that, I can attempt to email all the info from the system profiler.

Thanks
    Chris

Go Back to forum