• Register
  • Help

Topic: Old newbie needs new info

Share/Bookmark

Question Old newbie needs new info

I have been on Mac since year one -- but am a function junkie with no knowledge beyond what I see is what I get -- and even sim0ple scripts, codes and terms still baffle me.

Purchased GPO on House of Samples recommendation that it was the ONLY way to get the orchestrations I need in through GarageBand/Soundtrack. I have neither the cash nor talent (I believe) to get into too much more software to be functional to make the sounds of a medium pit orchestra (plus synth) for magic show textures.

I had thought GPO would drop in as instruments in GB -- and two days ago I found out I was under a misconception -- and possibly the dealer was too. GPO would have to run through Kompak player as a plug-in to GarageBand.

So far -- I have contacted Apple -- they do not know anything about plug-ins for GB and where they should go or how they would operate. The GPO tutorial tells me how to get one instrument at a time into GB but no controls (it seems) will transfer, and I cannot invest the tikme saple by sample to get that done -- it is possible I am misreading the tutorial and need to be straightened out.

I contacted NI -- and they referred me to Apple GarageBand -- who, as above, referred me top NI. AAAAHHHRRRGGGG!

At this point I do not know how to operate GPO as part of GB -- or record GPO Kompak Reader to get it into GB (real instrument??) because I must work in step as my musical reall time skill are not even 1st grade primary school adequate....

Each time I have tried to mount Overature I get a crash -- (E-Mac 800Mhz - 750 Meg Ram, clear desktop all other programs shut down) if I try to load any sounds.

I do not know how to run overatore as a "composition" Document to record for tansfer to GarageBand. Looked at their site last night -- could not find a way to upgrade to something that would read sheet music or midi-files (darned hand-eye coordination in realtime really s----) and I do not have the ADD control to drag and drop note by note.

Checked Sibeliaus briefly -- looked good until I got to price list and figured how many social security checks it wouid take.

So -- how do I get this running. The sounds are great -- my user interface is not ideal and I can afford to kludge on a budget. Maybe all the tools I need are here between GB, Bias, Soundtrack, GPO package and I am using the wrong thingus as the whatsis to get the hummwhatchacallit to work.

Might someone invest a little time with me to get up and running either through the forum -- or my nickle through "can you hear me now?" I have downloaded about a ream of tutorials from NI, GPO, and Overature -- but have not understood the solution(s) (unless it is in DaVinci Code) I need to pursue to start work with what I have and get out of hip-hop/rap/badpoprocknoise alzheimer's making style "music" by using GPO??????

Sorry I am such a blockhead on this stuff -- but I am a pretty good magician and magical show (for charity mostly) producer.

Gregg (C. H. Mara) Chmara
    Tucson, AZ -- Temp today 92F.

Re: Old newbie needs new info

Welcome to the GPO Forum chmara!

Here is an easy tutorial to show you how to use GPO with GarageBand:

http://www.garritan.com/garageband_tutorial.html

To install OPverture, copy the file to your desktop then launch it from there. Also, make sure to download the latest version from the www.geniesoft.com website.

We'll do our best to help you get up and running.

Gary Garritan

I feel like such a putz for my previous mewssage --- I had fallen asleep last night in the middle of the instrument lists in the instructions. Reading all in back -- I have now found the missing link --- Cubasis substitute needed for sequencing. That is the Garageband patch -- and weakness in what I am doing.

A sequencer would let me step assemble and tranfer as a RI track to GBas one low level alternative. I could use downloaded and rights purchased midi sequences as drop-ins for a fast start -- arrange and modify quickly.

So I guess -- since I do not have PC and Steinberg has never been Mac Friendly -- there is no substitute included (and at this price for the quality I could understand a no) or is there something other than GB I should be loading to interface properly.

Looked at Sib at $699 for sanning scores -- and it would mean not eating for a while like 4 months -- -- and turn me into a starving very mediocre composer/arranger with nothing but ear and no formal training...and I respect music more than that and will not impose bad stuff even on Charity magic show audiences...who will be generated only after I get a score ready.

Any recommendations for an assembly program sequencer I can download midi (like the old Romeo Files) or scan sheet/pdf into -=- in an affordable range or as a substitute for the not available for Mac Cubasis V4?

I do not want to cry poor ---- but trying to mount a one man (full orchestra_ ethic sounds) band (pit orchestra) in a Magic Show that has 2 performers and a techie paid only on performance is money consuming and time time consuming. I guess I am going to run out of adolescent energy here soon -- at age 62. But the passion for good music with good magic (not just Las Vegas synth) has me on an almost Monte Pythonesque quest.

Hope I can turn this into fun for all ---

GC

(PS -- from now on I will make sure I have read or touched all the pages of readmes, tutorials and manuals before I panic ---- I hope.

OK -- bed time in another hour or so -- but some work-arounds and ideas.

1. In the tutorial on patching to GB -- on the graphic bug -- a click in or trying to find position in the pull downs is impossible -- but click and hold and drag in the menu works well.

2. Each instrument MUST be processed individually -- VERY VERY time consuming.
    And -- if you follow one after another you must (at least in my rig) in edit -- bounce out of GPO as the choice and then go back in to reload it into the editor to change to proper instrument. (On and off to clear???)

3. Each Instrument/category must have its own folder created and dropped into (permissions each time) Library Ap Support/// unless you want to end up with an awful long string of GPO Instruments alphabetically in one folder.

SO -- this is probably the most inefficent way to get into Garageband since hand cut piano rolls.

Probably the best way to work around this is to sequence in a full bodied program (which apparently MS people can do with Cubasis) then convert that into a "live instrument" aif track in GB if you want other GB sounds or loops.

If you wish to create an orchestral loop, however -- load into Peak -- edit the loop into AIF -- Run it through Soundtrack Utility and drop it into the loop browser.

I must say as a function junkie -- there must be a better way to create the patches and drop them into GB......or to come up with an inexpensive seq program "for the rest of us."

Personally I would not mind a few buck more if it works -- but 200+ more I would not have jumped into this. As I said -- one man bands -- and 2 person shows have only so much time for "incidental music" that works........

So -- can anyone suggerst a Seq program -- or wannabe Sibalius Scanner/Midi Input that will mesh well and not break the bank here?

BTW -- run Midi files through Dent du Midi -- then -- line per line, drop them into a new GB track and assign instrument........Not much soul or expression because of GB limits -- but if you keep the volume low and under dialoque as you saw the lady in half --- it can work. Not quality -- but it works.

Are there any other GB knuts over here -- or have I fallen in with REAL sane and solid working musicians???

GC

Go Back to forum