• Register
  • Help

Topic: Reverb without pushing the instrument far back in the room?

Share/Bookmark

Reverb without pushing the instrument far back in the room?

I'm trying to create an admittedly artificial sound--a piano with reverb that doesn't sound as though it's coming from a great distance.

I've extending the length of the verb (using the SilverStrike VST reverb demo), and I get a better sound compressing the entire sample set some to raise the level of the reverb. But the basic problem remains: When I add verb, it pushes the entire piano sound so far back in the room that it creates a hall micing perspective, even if I set things up for a small room with the walls nearby and increase the volume of the early reflections. I've played some with eq'ing the late and early reflections and applying filters, but I'm not having much luck.

I know that, basically, pushing the instrument back in the mix is just what reverb does, and that I'm trying to create a sound that may not exist in nature, but I've heard digital piano samples with a lush reverb that still have a primary sound that seems to come from close by. Any suggestions on how to emulate this?

Re: Reverb without pushing the instrument far back in the room?

Stupid of me to suggest it probably, but the setting isn't too wet is it?. I mean, you've got it at say 10-15%, no more?.

You want more delay between the dry signal and the reverb. Increase the "pre-delay".

The idea is that the raw piano sound hits you in the face, and then a while later the echo bounces off the walls and gets to your ears. You can have a long reverb tail, but the reverb has to be pushed down in level - the sound loses amplitude after it travels a long way. The last point is to LPF the reverb, but not the dry sound. SOnic energy loses more highs over distance and after bouncing around.

-JF

Sorry for asking the obvious, but are you setting the reverb up as a send and not an insert?

Pre-delay will also definetely help as JonF said.
    ---------------------------
    - SCA - Sound Studios -
    www.sca-soundstudios.com
    ---------------------------

Go Back to forum