• Register
  • Help

Topic: 20th Century Fox fanfare

Share/Bookmark

20th Century Fox fanfare

I recently purchased GPO and decided to reproduce the 20th Century Fox fanfare as a learning exercise using John Williams' version as a guide.

I've managed to get the percussion instruments where they are almost indistinguishable from the original. The strings are almost there (though I'd like to know exactly what instruments he used.) But my brass sounds like anything from toy tin soldiers playing it, to Robin Hood-type trumpets that are way too wet. I've tried messing with velocities and modulation, but nothing helps.

I just can't seem to get the punch or find the arrangement that imitates the sound. Anyone have any pointers they could offer?

Brian
    Last edited by MuSimic; 09-24-2004 at 06:19 AM. Reason: add a note

Re: 20th Century Fox fanfare

I believe the up and coming GPO updates address this. You may want to wait and rework this exercise after the updates become available. Although I have never really dabbled with the brass, there have been posts in the past that have prompted a revision.
    Standby for more after these important messages from our sponsor.

You might wish to check out a post Mr. Garritan had on Francesco's rework using the new updates. Posted: 09-10-2004

http://www.garritan.com/mp3/UWS-newGPO.mp3
    Styxx

Thumbs up Re: 20th Century Fox fanfare

I'm so terribly sorry! Welcome to the GPO community and forum! Please forgive me for not welcoming you before my last or first reply or when I read your post the first time which was yesterday or was that this morning on the day that I first saw your post but was busy eating breakfast and then this guy came up and no wait it was a lady no it was a guy, no, a lady, no a guy, anywho .... WELCOME!

yes, I am one fry short of a happy meal.
    Styxx

Re: 20th Century Fox fanfare

Styxx,

Thanks for the welcome. I've actually been lurking here for some time.

Anyhow, I appreciate the response. I sort of figured I was trying something that GPO may not be capable of doing (yet.) Plus I'm sure my 'shot in the dark' arrangements aren't helping either.

I'll work on something else until the update comes along.

Brian

Go Back to forum