• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Poll: Demo Page Navigation

Share/Bookmark

Poll: Demo Page Navigation

We need your input guys!

We are looking for a way to present the demo content to the web surfer that is simple to navigate yet elegent in design that can catch the persons eye. The current demo wheel, while nice, does not work on some Mac browsers and is hard to navigate for the non-tech users. So, we thought we'd see what you guys can come up with. We're looking for something that looks nice, but is easily navigated and doesn't require forethought on the part of the onlooker. We have looked at anything from a simple navigation bar to a tabbed browsing menu, but I want to get some feedback from the community. As I said, the most important thing would be ease of use since there have been problems with users not really reading the instructions on how to use the current demo wheel. Any ideas will be considered and are appreciated.

Re: Poll: Demo Page Navigation

Put the composers in alphabetical order, in each section.

As Joseph mentioned, we are looking for a way of presenting many demos. We have another 150 demos that need to be put on the site - bringing the total to over 350 demos for the GPO Demo page.

In a neverending quest to do something unique and different, we are seeking a way to present these demos in an interactive and easy-to-use way. Perhaps something standard or perhaps a new paradigm. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Gary Garritan

How about by date added? You could add demos every week or every month, and have the list of composers below, well maybe like this:

September 2004:

composer artist genre info

August 2004:

And still with the ability to sort by genre or composer by clicking the header. That is if you want people to see the newest demos first. If you had some featured demos, like the Beethoven or the Mozart you could have a main section where those demos always live. Just a suggestion.

Remember, the shortest distance between two points is a straight line.
    Styxx

You could implement a system like Amazon has where you annoy us with suggestions about possible demos to listen to based on previous demo selections...

Or not

Seriously, I think for demo purposes some way of grouping by featured instrument is nice. I generally want to check out strngs, or winds, or horns, or how the legato strings are vs. detache strings, that sort of thing.

Exclamation Re: Poll: Demo Page Navigation

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Burrell
    As I said, the most important thing would be ease of use since there have been problems with users not really reading the instructions on how to use the current demo wheel.
    Sorry to digress, folks, but I'm one of the above mentioned. Where are these instructions?

Thanks.

Why not cut the wheel out and just list the categories as is without them turning. (?)
    Styxx

I think the ideal (and I say 'ideal' because implementing this would not be trivial) would be to all the user to set browse parameters (i.e. composer, submitter, genre and even random). You would need a database on the backend like mySQL to handle the searches for you.

It would be a lot of work up front but the good news is that maintaining this after you set it up would be much easier. You should be able to automate the process of uploading the files with associated keywords (maybe in the mp3s' ID3 info).
    - Layne

Quote Originally Posted by Garritan
    We have another 150 demos that need to be put on the site - bringing the total to over 350 demos for the GPO Demo page.
    Amazing. That alone is a testament to your great work, Gary.

Rob

Go Back to forum