• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Well, guess I'll wait before upgrading to Giga 3.0.....

Share/Bookmark

Question Well, guess I'll wait before upgrading to Giga 3.0.....

Wow... there sure have been quite a few posts here on the forum about "bugs" and/or "strange behavior" from the just-released GigaStudio 3.0.

I had planned to purchase the upgrade... But, I guess I will stick with my GigaStudio 160 (version 2.54) till Tascam gets all these anomalous problems worked out.

Do any of you who have purchased GigaStudio 3.0 feel that the previous versions were more stable? You know, I just don't want to "upgrade" until I am certain that the new 3.0 version is at least as stable as Giga 160 (2.54).............. Gary

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

Re: Well, guess I'll wait before upgrading to Giga 3.0.....

Hi Gary,

3.0 is as stable as 2.5.

Where people are running into the most problems is in really loading up the GigaPulse instances, and pushing the limits of their particular rigs.

I've been using it under the gun for months. They have actually sold quite an enormous number of copies--much more than I'd have ever expected by this time. So, I think you actually see relatively few problems.

For sure, if you loaded 3.0 up, and had problems, you could restore your 2.5 installation and hang for the 3.1 update. If it runs great, then you're on your way.

I've been running GS3 for about a month now (was in the first wave of updates). I've not had *ANY* crashes. I have a P-IV (xeon) with HT disabled. 3GHz, 1G Memory, and a SATA sample disk.

I did shut off the driver that does automatic QuickSound databases because:
    1. It has been reported to be a source of blue screens
    2. I find it annoying even when it works properly, you really need to shut it (or GS in general) down while messing with samples as it insists on putting them in the database whether you wanted or not. Further, the default configuration of QS in general on GS is stupid. It should not index the recycle bin for instance.
    3. It's unnecessary anyhow. It's not that hard to rebuild the database manually (if you care) when adding new files.

The bugs I've experienced:

1. GS's MIDI driver installation is wrong, which hoses RME's driver. A workaround has been advertised for this.
    2. Legato doesn't work with my MIDI controller, not sure where these zero velocity note-on's are comming from, but my use of legato is pretty limitted (most of my string work still uses GPO).
    3. Evidentally the file format for some of the files changed between the beta which hoses up certain sample libraries (waiting for an update from the library company).
    4. TASCAM's registration process is as bad as it's ever been.
    5. Pressing the reset button sometimes does nothing. I think this happens when there is still an active midi note press. I use an 88 key keyboard and sometimes things are leaning on a black key at one end of the keyboard or the other.
    6. When errors do occur, GS's handling of them by and large sucks. For example, if a GPulse file can't be loaded you get a garbage error message, and you can't load it manually because the GPulse UI is hosed at that point.

But as Bruce says, it doesn't seem any less stable once it is running than 2.54.

Bruce:

Some of the crashes are asssociated with pushing GS3 too hard, a lot of GP instances, too many samples loaded. In my, and some others case this is not the reason, my CPU reads 13% with one instance of GP, memory stands at the same 13%, still have crashes (ew.sys) regularly. Since many users have no problems like this, I don't believe it is the fault of GS3, but something peculiar for our systems.
    Any toughts?

Ted

Well Gary, I have been thinking about the same question for days. Should I upgrade now or wait a little bit?

There is basically only a couple of reasons I want to upgrade for now. 1) Unlimited Poly (at least more than my current of 96). 2) VST plugins... All the other features will be really good and I'll most likely use them at some point.

Anyone know if the VST plugin AmpliTube works ok on GS3?

Well I'm starting to think I should at least wait a few more weeks and hope there will be an update. GS2 has been about 99% stable and rarely if ever crashers. So i'm not sure if I want to risk having a less stable system at this point.

The good things about humans is they adapt (better than software does) -- since having a number of problems with 3.0, I've changed some of my habits and haven't had a crash in days. I also had crashes early when using 2.5, and adjusted habits for those, too.

Naturally, I could roll back to 2.5, but after several days adjusting myself I now feel the benefits of 3 far outweight the remaining problems. I do still HOPE FOR and EXPECT an update from Tascam before too long, to reduce the number of bugs remaining.

I had some problems in the beginning but they weren't nearly as bad as when I first started using v.2.5. Giga 3.0 is definately more stable on my system than 2.5 ever was.

I've found GS3 to be more stable - after I polished my system.

I used GS2.5 on the same machine, but the OS had had a lot of other software/hardware/drivers installed on it. I had start up problems with GS2.5, the loads sometimes took forever (even with the load optimizer exe running), and I wasn't able to edit and save really big gigs. (I ended up dividing KHSS into smaller gigs, so I could customize and save it.)

After doing a clean OS install and full driver/BIOS update - as well as removing an odd stick of RAM, I can run GS within limits (90% memory, 2 GPulse instances max) with perfect reliability. There are some bugs to be sure, but I've found it simple to avoid them (no rewire for me yet) or work around them.

I'm glad I upgraded and would not be happy if I had to go back.

-Jon Fairhurst

I plan to upgrade when GS3 supports hyperthreading, but not before. My DAW is CubaseSX and do not want to loose the advantages of HT with that application just for GS3. Also, I have 2 GB of RAM and won't remove 1 GB just so that I can run GS3 without problems.

Guess I will stick with GS2.5 and Kontakt until a future update adds hyperthreading support, support for more then 1 GB of RAM and some of the Rewire bugs people are reporting are ironed out.

GS3 looks like a great upgrade otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by daveporter
    I plan to upgrade when GS3 supports hyperthreading, but not before. My DAW is CubaseSX and do not want to loose the advantages of HT with that application just for GS3. Also, I have 2 GB of RAM and won't remove 1 GB just so that I can run GS3 without problems
    GS3 looks like a great upgrade otherwise.
    sorry to abuse this thread but how many more cpu power do you get when activating HT?
    i really thought it does not do anything on audioapps anyway, but i never really tried it.
    Digital AudionetworX

Go Back to forum