• Register
  • Help

Topic: what are your recommendations for a laptop to run gigastudio 3.0?

Share/Bookmark

what are your recommendations for a laptop to run gigastudio 3.0?

Hi,

Now that Gigastudio 3.0 is out, it is time for me to buy a new computer (with more memory and faster processor).

I am currently interested in a laptop/notebook instead of a desktop. Reason for this, is that (next year) I would like to go to a summer music school that teaches composition (I am still looking around for this in the Netherlands [non-existant] or the UK [a few], hoping to find one that accepts a music amateur with limited music theory knowledge :-). Of course, I would then like to take my computer with me, so a laptop would be preferable.

So I was wondering if any of you have already some experience with running GigaStudio 3.0 (with a sequencer like Cubase) on a laptop and can give me tips what I should lookout for in a laptop. For example:
    * For desktop computers, it is recommended to have two harddisks, one on which the Windows OS resides and a second drive to put all sample libraries on. Is this also recommended for a laptop and if so what interface should that harddisk have (firewire, USB 2.0)?
    * Are there audiocards available for laptops that support GSIF 2.0?
    * Recommended processor

Greetings,

Rob.

Re: what are your recommendations for a laptop to run gigastudio 3.0?

Hi Rob.

I haven't had any experience with laptop computers running GS, but in terms of sound cards, the Echo Indigo series are all GSIF 2.0 compatible, and seem highly recommended by laptop users on this forum. In the higher price bracket, you may like to look at the Echo Layla Laptop. (In fact, Echo Audio has a laptop adapter so that may be an option, if you already have a compatible card.)

You can check out this site for GSIF driver compatibility with a wide range of audio hardware:

http://www.tascamgiga.com/hardware.php

As for processor, the feeling I get from this forum is Pentium over AMD, and the fastest one you can get with the available money, if you want to use (multiple instances of) GigaPulse. In terms of drives, I have heard that Firewire is the way to go (drive speed is usually a bottleneck for streaming samples), and plenty of RAM is always a good idea for those samples.

Hope that helps a little and good luck with summer school,

Julio

Re: what are your recommendations for a laptop to run gigastudio 3.0?

Hi Julio,

Thanks for your suggestions.

Rob.

Go Back to forum