• Register
  • Help

Topic: OT: Crochets and quavers

OT: Crochets and quavers

Just reading a different thread, I sae the expression, and have to ask - are people still using 'crochets' in their musical discussions? Is this just an English thing? Most of Europe? I thought this was an 18th and 19th century convention, long gone the way of the dodo bird.

In my ignorance and laziness, I find it much easier to refer to quarter notes and dotted sixteens rather than demi-semi-quavers. Reminds me of when we changed from an easily understood cycles per second (CPS) to Hertz (Hz.) My drummer still calls them "Z's", has a hard time remembering there's an H in front (but then, he IS a drummer...)
    It's all about the music - really. I keep telling myself that...

Re: OT: Crochets and quavers

Yes, its still very much the tradition here in England. I didn't even know what eighth notes were until I saw Amadeus when I was eleven. I was thinking "what is he on about" when I watched the requiem scene. These days its unprofessional not to know either convention. But I'm always careful to pass on the tradition just because it makes reading older reference and instructional books easier.
    Trev Parks

Thumbs up Re: OT: Crochets and quavers

hemidemisemiquaver = 64th note
    Kentaro Sato (Ken-P)

But watch out for breeves. They tend to attract flies.

We're still crotchets and quavers here in Australia.
    - SCA - Sound Studios -

I think most other languages gave up the funny names somewhere in the 19th century or so :-)

Overall I prefer the British product Sibelius, but Finale has one big advantage: they don't use the antiquated names in their manual.

I hate using the old British terms, but unfortunately here in good old Blighty it is the norm, so I kinda have to.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Cairns
    We're still crotchets and quavers here in Australia.
    hehehe yeah ! , I moved to Au a while ago and i still can't get used to the "Quavers" <---- Sounds too much like Quarter and confuses me

Go Back to forum