• Register
  • Help

Topic: Does GOS integrate with GPO and Finale?

Share/Bookmark

Does GOS integrate with GPO and Finale?

I've been using Garritan Personal Orchestra for just a few days. I need to be able to do a lot more with strings. The Garritan Orchestral Strings is an expensive solution! Does this work in conjunction with GPO or is GOS an entirely separate thing?

I use Finale and have this set up to use the GPO. Does GOS integrate seamlessly into GPO or would the GOS have to be used separately? If not, how would I use my Finale score to play GPO and then add GOS?

Would be grateful for any input.

Thanks.
    Michael
    Patience is a virtue, sensitivity is a gift

Re: Does GOS integrate with GPO and Finale?

Michael,

The GPO section string samples are drawn from the GOS library so they integrate very well when it comes to sound characteristics. But that's the end of the integration. GOS is a GigaStudio format product. GS format can be imported to most other popular formats (including the full version of Kontakt) but with a few issues in the process, mostly having to do with layer crossfades for GOS expressive instruments. GOS cannot be used within the GPO player and the programming/controller conventions of the two libraries are very different from one another. Probably the most important difference (concerning layout in Finale) is the approach to articulations: Each bow stroke type in GOS most likely requires separate treatment, a different stave, in Finale. GPO is much more notation friendly in that respect. I'm not a Finale user so if anyone knows of methods to apply separate GOS articulations without requiring separate staves, please chime in.

Tom

Hello Tom,

Thanks very much for your reply. Think I shall stay with GPO for now.
    Michael
    Patience is a virtue, sensitivity is a gift

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Hopkins
    GS format can be imported to most other popular formats (including the full version of Kontakt) but with a few issues in the process, mostly having to do with layer crossfades for GOS expressive instruments.

Tom
    Tom,
    What about the tools that are in the Giga version? Like MaestroTools™ Auto-Alternator, MaestroTools™ Legato Mode, EXP Expression Control, Dynamics Control, Vibrato Control, Attack and Release Controls, Key Switching, Performance Setups and others?
    Do these import well in Kontakt or can some of these be used in addition to the sampler of choice? If not, will there ever be a Kontakt native GOS?
    Thanks,
    _Scott

Scott,

Tom is on vacation but I'll do my best to answer.

We believe that playing controls can be just as important as the samples. The ability to alternate, to have variability, legato, and other functions were originally not possble with GigaStudio. Therefore, MaestroTools was developed to provide these features. But MaestroTools was standalone and went between the standalone Gigasampler and your sequencer. It intercepted MIDI messages and did it's midi voodoo.

Because Kontakt does things different, it works as a plugin and integrates with the sequencer. There's no way to intercept the midi messages because there is a direct link. So, although you can convert GOS giga you won't get MT functionality. But MaestroTools can work with Kontakt if you use is as a standalone. Many have done this with Halion and EXS24. They did a conversion and used the sampler in standalone in conjunction with MaestroTools.

Kontakt has onboard controls to let you do alternation, legato and other functions but it has to be programmed differently. We are currently working on a Kontakt GOS to avoid these conversion complexities.

Quote Originally Posted by spettigrew
    Tom,
    What about the tools that are in the Giga version? Like MaestroTools™ Auto-Alternator, MaestroTools™ Legato Mode, EXP Expression Control, Dynamics Control, Vibrato Control, Attack and Release Controls, Key Switching, Performance Setups and others?
    Do these import well in Kontakt or can some of these be used in addition to the sampler of choice? If not, will there ever be a Kontakt native GOS?
    Thanks,
    _Scott

Quote Originally Posted by Garritan
    We are currently working on a Kontakt GOS to avoid these conversion complexities.
    Beautiful! Thanks so much for clearing that up for me Gary, it's much appreciated.
    _Scott

Gary,

You let Tom take another vacation? Jeez, I wish I had that many weeks of vacation!!

Go Back to forum