• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 10 1234 ... LastLast

Topic: Will Gigastudio ever work .

Share/Bookmark

Exclamation Will Gigastudio ever work .

Hello to all. I have been watching the evolution of gigastudio for some time now with great interest. I often hung out at the old Tascam forum and read all the problem's a lot had with giga 2.54 . I was holding back from buying until ver 3.0 came out and hoped that Tascam got it together. So far it's not the great software bug wise and stability we were waiting for is it. What is it with Tascam, why cant they get this thing right, they worked on it long enought before releasing. I am not bashing Tascam, it's just that I would like a sotware to create music and not be on the edge of my seat hoping I don't crash. I even bought the Mastery tutorial so that I would have an edge for when I buy my copy. How can Gigastudio survive with all the same problem's as the previous version's. Just wandering what all of you great people think about what seem's to be repeating itself from the last version. I am Canadian and this is pricey software with the exchange and all so you can understand my caution of buying this software. I see a lot of red flags popping up. What do you think is going on. Thanks for taking time to read this and look foward to your comment's.

Re: Will Gigastudio ever work .

For what it's worth:
    Your post reminds me of years ago when I was researching Dell forums in prepraration for a PCs purchase. After a great deal of reading I started to believe Dell PC were always crashing, always had bad components, etc. As an owner of many Dell PCs, I have come to believe otherwise. My point, of course, is that you should expect to hear many problem reports on this forum since this is where many of us go to get problems solved quickly. You should also expect a magnatude fewer post relating how bug-free GS3 is. That's the nature of forums. My GS2 setup was very stable and GS3 is now mostly stable for me. While a few users of GS3 here seem to be having show-stopper problems, I would guess that most GS3 users are very glad they moved up, have a stable situation, and are being productive with the application. Bug fixes will come, but the few bugs I have encounter do not get in the way of my progress. It is often difficult to get this perspective from reading forum posts.

If I did this for a living, I suppose I would buy another PC and do a slow migration as all new software of this nature introduces risk and risk must be controlled. I'm personally very excited about having GS3. I like the new interface, the EQ options on each DSP channel, Gigapulse (wow), ..., and I would never go back.
    Craig Duke

GS3.0 crashes when hyperthreading is turned on. Hyperthreading - the main feature on the most popular and best PC chip out there. That can hardly be said to be a minor bug or one that doesn't affect most people. There's just no excuse for that.

This is what happens when you have hardware designers (who have the luxury of a static platform), try to make software. And then the tell us that it's our fault, that we should have dedicated Giga machines, etc. Ridiculous.

>GS3.0 crashes when hyperthreading is turned on. Hyperthreading - the main >feature on the most popular and best PC chip out there. That can hardly be >said to be a minor bug or one that doesn't affect most people. There's just no >excuse for that.

I think you are not right here. I read alot of HT benchmarks and there were just a few who gave an extra performance gain of something like 10-15% with many open aplication and multi threading apps etc. etc..
    My guess is that on one PC running GS3 and lets say Cubase at the same time you would get something like 5% or so.

HT for my point of view is nothing more then a Intel selling argument.
    Digital AudionetworX

Yes, like "todays special offer".

I don't know if it will work right in the short term. For the second time it trashed my hard drive. It BSOD'd and left file fragments everywhere. I've had to rebuild my emails from scratch all over again. This thing is just going to sit there until they get the bugs worked out. If I had a dedicated computer, I wouldn't worry about it, but unfortunately I don't.

I think some of you are paranoid and alarmist.

The majority are using GS3 in day to day work - where stability is ultra critical. I have not experienced any dowwntime, and i use GS 10 hours a day, everyday - constantly running (unless im on a smoke break).

Of course, everything is highly subjective.

Regardless of whether you think hyperthreading provides you with any measurable benefit, it is unthinkable that a new software release would not support it. In this case, it is even worse because you have to actually turn it off to use the software. There are many programs that are not yet optimized for hyperthreading and therefore do not realise much if any performance gain, however, some do (like CubaseSX 2.2 and later). However, I'm not aware of any other software that requires you to turn off hyperthreading for it to run without the "blue screen of death" problems.

It also appears that Tascam has not fixed the problem with stability when a computer has over 1 GB of RAM; this is also very serious. Many machines today have over 1 GB of RAM (all of ours have 2 GB except for the one old PIII machine that we use as a stand-alone GigaStudio workstation which has only 512 MB).

I have been a GigaStudio user since the GigaSampler days, however, until these two problems are resolved, I won't be upgrading. Tascam needs to resolve these issues ASAP. They are not the only game in town any more and if they want to maintain their position they need to get on the stick.

>GS3.0 crashes when hyperthreading is turned on. Hyperthreading - the main >feature on the most popular and best PC chip out there. That can hardly be >said to be a minor bug or one that doesn't affect most people. There's just no >excuse for that.

I think you are not right here. I read alot of HT benchmarks and there were just a few who gave an extra performance gain of something like 10-15% with many open aplication and multi threading apps etc. etc..
    My guess is that on one PC running GS3 and lets say Cubase at the same time you would get something like 5% or so.
    Interesting point.

The thing is, Nuedo can unable / disable the HT option.

So let’s do a test...

DAW Host
    CPU : P42,6 HT
    Mother Board : P4C800-E Deluxe
    OS drives : 2xWD 80Go (8Mo) Raid 1
    Audio drives : 2xMaxtor Sata 120Go (8Mo)
    RAM : 2X512 DDR400 Dual Channel chip Samsung
    Sound card : RME 9652 + AEB 8-O
    NIC : Intel 82547EI Gigabit LAN controller (on motherboard)
    Sequencer : Nuendo 2.2.0
    Others : MidiOverLan
    Komplete 2
    HyperOS 2004

XP optimization
    Colors : 16bit
    System restoration : deactivated
    Performances, visual effects : best performances checked
    Performances, applications : background services checked
    No web connection

RME settings : Buffer Size (Latency) : 256 (6ms)
    Nuendo settings :
    Release Asio driver in Background : disable
    Direct Monitoring : disable
    Audio Priority : High
    Preload Amount : 2s
    Lower Latency : unable
    Multi Processing : unable
    Adjust for Record Latency : unable
    Record placement Offset : 0

Test 1
    I open the Embracer (Nuendo VSTI) (Nice pad...) 20 time (with a different preset on each one) and assign 20 midi track for them, with the same midi in source : my keyboard.
    So when a play a note I get 20 multitimbral notes on a key
    Result :
    I can play 9 key pedal down without drop : 180 voices (9x20 multitimbral voices), with a 78 cpu usage (XP monitor)
    (What a sound...)

Test 2 : Multi processor (HT) disable
    I can play only 6 key without drop : 120 voices (6x20 multitimblal voices), with a 30% usage CPU (XP monitor)

Conclusion :

So, 180 against 120 VSTI voices in Nuendo. More than 25%. And a strange CPU result. Apparently, there is not a strict correlation between the CPU usage and drops in our audio application. It seems to be more complicated than that.

The first thing I noticed when I disabled the Multiprocessor option in Nuendo is that the constant CPU usage doing nothing in Nuendo decrease a half : 6,10% with HT against 2,50% without HT

I’m very surprise of those results.

So sad that GS3 can’t run in HT mode.

Anyway, I’m not sure GS3 (I still wait my copy...) can ever work with Nuendo. With GS160, I never could.

Regards

Quote Originally Posted by Crystal
    Interesting point.

The thing is, Nuedo can unable / disable the HT option.

So let’s do a test...

thanx!
    Digital AudionetworX

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 10 1234 ... LastLast