• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: VSL Saxes

Share/Bookmark

VSL Saxes

Hi all,

Does anybody know if the VSL Saxes will ever arrive at a Kontakt format?

TIA

Alan Russell
    Please Visit My New & Revised Official Website Below

http://AlanRussell-Music.com

Re: VSL Saxes

This doesn't exactly answer your question, but I personally think VSL Sax's aren't impressive at all. VSL does amazing work on almost all of their products, but not even they can completely emulate a saxaphone. That is just one instrument that I think is absolutely impossible to fake. It must be performed.

Just my 2 cents. I'd rather pay a musician than buy those. :\

Jared

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Russell
    Hi all,

Does anybody know if the VSL Saxes will ever arrive at a Kontakt format?

TIA

Alan Russell
    Perhaps. Seems like a lot of the Horizon stuff is being ported to Kontakt and Halion. And regarding quality, I agree you might be better off with a live player - but call a sax player to your place at 3am because you had this great idea... you know what I mean. VSL Saxes might work out great for a quick sketch and mockup - something to help guide things to a final cut and mix using real players.

Hi

I have no inside info. but to be honest with you I can't imagine it happening.

As for their quality I disagree. For loud, in your face, soulful stuff they're not
    great, but for Jazz, Classical or more lyrical tracks with a LOT of work they can sound VERY impressive. Couldn't live without them!

Doesn't help your Kontakt question though. Have you thought about importing them from the Giga/EXS versions? Obviously you'd lose the Performance versions which to be honest ARE one of the selling points.

Cheers

Ty

Quote Originally Posted by Jared Hudson
    This doesn't exactly answer your question, but I personally think VSL Sax's aren't impressive at all. VSL does amazing work on almost all of their products, but not even they can completely emulate a saxaphone. That is just one instrument that I think is absolutely impossible to fake. It must be performed.

Just my 2 cents. I'd rather pay a musician than buy those. :\

Jared

Jared,

As a sax player, I do agree with you..but something virtual is better than nothing - right?

Alan Russell

Quote Originally Posted by Chrislight
    Perhaps. Seems like a lot of the Horizon stuff is being ported to Kontakt and Halion. And regarding quality, I agree you might be better off with a live player - but call a sax player to your place at 3am because you had this great idea... you know what I mean. VSL Saxes might work out great for a quick sketch and mockup - something to help guide things to a final cut and mix using real players.

Chris,

my wife is lucky to see me @3:00am while banging out a few ideas on my Motif 8

Whatever happened to Yellow Tools "Candy" looks like they abandoned that project..

Alan Russell

Alan Russell

Unless VSL makes standalone performance tool for Mac or Kontakt has midi function like performance tool, your dream won't come true.
    Kentaro Sato (Ken-P)
    Composer/Conductor/Orchestrator
    www.wisemanproject.com

I believe Candy is STILL on its way, and I have to agree with Jared that VSL's Saxes, although Vienna is a strong sampling company, isnt one of their greater products. The reason is that everyone has a unique sound on a Sax. Some might argue that everyone has a different sound for every instrument, while that is true, a flute sound is essentially a flute sound but it has some minor timbre alterations that can be controlled by the player. The sax though, it is just a complex instrument, the timbre can change dozens of times in one musical passage, and there are so many indiscrimnants in a performance that affect this. So most sample librairies that sample Saxes, sample only a few of their timbres, but as said after ward, it sure has heck beats not having ANY sax player, or it surely beats the sax players we have here

Beeson

Herb said on the VSL forum that all Horizon products will be availible in Kontakt format somewhen in the next months: VSL Halion/Kontakt Forum
    (and Bernd of VSL said Halion versions will be released at the same time).

PolarBear

Being a saxophone player I did not believe I was really listening to a saxophone. It sounded so much not like a sax. The demos didn't have any of the expression a sax player can really play. I like the Xsample Sax better, comparing it with the VSL demos only.

Go Back to forum