• Register
  • Help

Topic: Bad sound ?

Share/Bookmark

Question Bad sound ?

This is my short orchestral piece. The sound is not very good. Can you advice me, how to improve it? I don't know if and how to use EQ, compresor and so on.

http://www.vladohudec.szm.sk/music/lenka.mp3

Thanks

Vlado

Re: Bad sound ?

hi vlado,

without sounding rough or offensive but if you don't know how to use eq, compressors and reverb or other plugins, get a good book, read about it and learn how to use it.

sorry, but the skill how to use plug-ins or eq's is a really basic question and you can find it in every book about audio editing.

the biggest help would be to visit a studio an ask if you could stay a few days to gather information.

Smile Re: Bad sound ?

Musically speaking, this is not great part writing. I am hearing direct 5th and parallel 5th in some places (like M#2-M#3 and M#3-M#4), and they add weakness to the piece. This is homophonic music, so rules are less strict, but they break balances between parts and style.
    Kentaro Sato (Ken-P)
    Composer/Conductor/Orchestrator
    www.wisemanproject.com

what's that weird lowmid synthy sound on 0:10? what library is this?

Quote Originally Posted by Ken-P
    Musically speaking, this is not great part writing. I am hearing direct 5th and parallel 5th in some places (like M#2-M#3 and M#3-M#4), and they add weakness to the piece. This is homophonic music, so rules are less strict, but they break balances between parts and style.
    Come on now man, that just isn't right. Just because you where not into it, don't bash it.

I think you are going to need better samples, because these strings sound a bit harsh to me. How people do EQ and Compression is totally different from person to person so basically just get a good 30-band EQ (or something similar) and mess with it. For compression I love Waves C4, so you might want to check into that. Also, the verb sounded slightly weird, what was it from?

James W.G. Smith

These fast settings gave me a better sound on my setup ( heaphones ) :

A bit more tweaking will get rid of those resonant mid range sounds

There is also a general problem with a strange Hssss sound ( could be the mp3 though ) .

Quote Originally Posted by Ken-P
    I am hearing direct 5th and parallel 5th in some places (like M#2-M#3 and M#3-M#4), and they add weakness to the piece....
    I have to agree with Ken-P on the consecutive 5ths, if you listen to the third and fourth chords they are a bit weak sounding and if changed, could give more lyrical character to the song.
    Try using a 3rd above instead of the 5th below on the third and 4th chords and see if you like the result

Smile Re: Bad sound ?

If you don't like to change the music, make sure that you give enough volume to the innor voice which plays "C natural" at downbeat of M#3. I am not hearing the 3rd of the chord (Am chord) enough untill the 3rd beat (the melody plays C). The same thing applys to M#4 (G chord).
    Kentaro Sato (Ken-P)
    Composer/Conductor/Orchestrator
    www.wisemanproject.com

Go Back to forum