• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Topic: 2 GB Ram

Share/Bookmark

2 GB Ram

Hello all,

i did some serious research about the 2GB "thing".

First of all it does not seem to me to scary now, because it mostly told me "hello i am coming to crash your system now"

onestly, after a fixed % of samples loaded into kernel memory you get an "can`t allocate requested memory" (or something like that) error.
    if you load more into ram: BSOD
    i had systems which did not show any error before BDSO but after spending some time with mattias´s great "pagedpool tweaking tool" i found a somewhat more stable system. which means i get at least more then 5 "can`t allocate blah blah" error before bsod AND if i delete unused instruments in GS3 it brings GS3 back into "normal" status.

ok, besides the BSOD i am now getting these results:

1) i was able to load about 1310 MB into ram. i think this is 150MB more then GS2.54 ever did?!?

2) this ramload gives me only 77% in GS3 which tells me the % meter is not working right, or is changed to what 2.54 measured.

3) i did load 2.54 .gsp setting within GS3 and compared the ramload which was always about the same (again, maybe i am wrong here)

4) i installed 2 more GB which changed absolutly nothing. 1300-1400MB is the limit.

so, for me there seems a workaround:

do some serious mattias tweaking, find out what suits you best.
    after that when you get a "can´t allocate" warning, save your session, unload some samples and with some luck it wont crash.

don't get me wrong!!! this only applies on 2gb machines i did not had any trouble on 1gb systems.

if you don't want to fiddle around with that just take out your 2. 1gig stick until they really fixed that and be happy with about 770mb loaded into ram just like it was on GS2.54.

More than 1GB was allways a problem and still is.

Daniel
    Digital AudionetworX

Re: 2 GB Ram

They can't possibly have overseen this during testing. So much for Giga3 making better use of 2 gigs of ram, considering all the recommendations. Sigh. What a disappointment.

Quote Originally Posted by Sovereign
    They can't possibly have overseen this during testing. So much for Giga3 making better use of 2 gigs of ram, considering all the recommendations. Sigh. What a disappointment.
    You probably won't be able to go much higher as long as you live in the 32-bit world unless you spread the load over multiple processes or use the special extended memory addressing features. Fact is there are plenty of things in the OS that doesn't want you to allocate memory in these huge amounts.

/Mattias

I think we are stuck with this memory limit as long as they program in kernel mode. Sure don't have this problem loading up Kontakt. I've yet to have a crash in Kontakt loading it up and I can get about 1.8 GB loaded with the rest being OS and Sonar.

Wonder how they were loading up to 1.5 GB at NAMM as was being claimed. What tweaks were done on these machines?

Its actually not dissapointing at all. Within GS 2.54 i was not able to load much more then 980MB-1030MB into ram. As you can read in GS3 i was able to load more then 1300MB into ram. Thats about 300MB or 33% more!!!
    Everything abouve 1300-1400MB is not in their buisness anymore its up to MS to come up with more adressable kernellevel memory. I think they allready programm around this limit.
    I am not sure but i think that you wont be able to load more into ram under Kontakt or Kompakt even its not running on kernel level and it gives much worse performance then GS3 and it at least triples latency and the size of the sample buffer is way higher so you can load even less instruments.

i know this because i am trying to playback EWQLSO-P on not more then 2 PC´s. Even i am trying really hard and i´m always up to the latest hardware there is still no chance to do that (btw. they recomend 8 PC´s to do so, heh!!!).
    within GS3 it would be no problem to playback and load in the whole Lib into 2 GS3 systems.

Even on the mac side you wont have more luck. It CAN adress way more ram BUT it wont help since you never would get that impressiv HD performance you get on a nForce 939 chipset (just imagine 4 SATA drives in a raid0 level can give you up to 230MB / sek.!!!!!)

try to do this with a G5

anyway....
    Digital AudionetworX

I'm considering building a dedicated GS3.0 machine.

In a nutshell, if I understand all of these memory threads correctly, by buying 2 GB of RAM instead of 1 GB I can only expect to get about 300-400 more MB of instruments loaded?

Mark
    www.marktrainer.com

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

There's no disappointment in it. It is what it is. There are so many other things going on in GS-3 that are so musically useful, even dead-on parity with 2.5 in terms of loading would be great. One can get a bit more than that, so it's a win-win situation.

I guess I just don't personally care that much how many GB of pre-fetch buffers can be loaded. I can load more instruments than I can use at any given moment, and life is genuinely sweet with not only Giga 3, but with all the tools of today. I just cannot for the life of me understand being disappointed with music tools in 2004. It's miraculous the things we have to work with.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Trainer
    I'm considering building a dedicated GS3.0 machine.

In a nutshell, if I understand all of these memory threads correctly, by buying 2 GB of RAM instead of 1 GB I can only expect to get about 300-400 more MB of instruments loaded?

Mark
    not exactly:

1gb has a max. of something like 770mb
    and
    2gb has a max. ox something like 1350 or so

(at least for me at the moment)

BUT to get 13xx you have to do some serious tweaking on your system.
    Digital AudionetworX

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce A. Richardson
    It's miraculous the things we have to work with.
    yeah, and just see those fluffy clouds in the sky

peace

;-)
    Digital AudionetworX

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce A. Richardson
    There's no disappointment in it.
    I am referring to the instabilities mostly wich are putting me off. When I use the tweak on my current system (2 gigs) with 2.54 weird stuff happens; out of resource errors, graphics which get screwed up, windows which won't show.. etc. I already verified the ram, it's not it...

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast