• Register
  • Help

Topic: GPulse Pro--do I need it?

Share/Bookmark

GPulse Pro--do I need it?

I am just using Giga 3 for piano, and at that just for my own personal pleasure. What can I get out of GPulse Pro? I am playing the White Grand and Steinway B, and so can access their included convolutions. What would Pro version get me, from the point of view of personal sonic enjoyment, that I can't get now (with the runtime GPulse only).

Noel

Re: GPulse Pro--do I need it?

With GigaPulse pro you can put the piano in the space of your choice. Play it in a small room, a large hall or the Cathedral of Notre Dame in Budapest.

If your goal is limited to playing piano at home, then try running the standard NFX reverb in a DSP group. Do this by pointing the channel at a DSP input, and point the DSP input at the DSP group. You can tweak the pan and width in the DSP Input and then adjust the reverb in the DSP group insert.

After playing with this you may find the results to be satisfying enough. Then you don't need GPulse Pro. If you find the reverb lacking, you have extra CPU cycles and the money in your wallet, consider moving up to orchestra. GigaPulse is the most musical ambience that I've ever used.

-JF

Jon, that is a pretty impressive claim. I don't have the $$ immediately, but it's intriguing what you (and the manual) say. I will probably upgrade to Orch. Yes, I do use the included NFX reverb which is pretty good to me.

Noel

Quote Originally Posted by JonFairhurst
    GigaPulse is the most musical ambience that I've ever used.

-JF
    Have you worked with the Waves IR-1 or Altiverb (Mac only)? If so, any comparisons would be appreciated. Thanks.

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by aplanchard
    Have you worked with the Waves IR-1 or Altiverb (Mac only)? If so, any comparisons would be appreciated. Thanks.
    Do a search back. I did a very extensive run-down of the GigaPulse setup and methodology. In short, soundwise, just as good. Quite a bit different in terms of flexibility and UI. A GigaPulse room is generally well over one-hundred separate impulses. It's a whole different animal.

No, I haven't used Waves IR-1 or Altiverb. I've used SonicFoundry's Acoustic Mirror (AM), and found that their impulses had too strong an influence on EQ for my tastes. I'd end up finding the closest match for the amound of ambience I wanted, and then I have to tweak it and try to EQ it back closer to neutrality. The GPulse impulses sound much more rich and natural. Also AM didn't offer all of the seating, mic positions, multiple mics and surround possibilities.

But more than anything else, I really like the sounds. Some GPulse impulses may be wetter than you want for a given situation, others may be too dry. But they all sound pleasing to the ear.

I'm still not sure if GPulse is so good because of its engine, or if it's so good because of the included impulses. My hunch is that it's both.

-JF

Go Back to forum