• Register
  • Help

Topic: Drivers?

Share/Bookmark

Drivers?

I had some trouble with my soundcard (at present an Audigy Platinum) and thanks to some most helpful advice from this forum I downloaded the Asio4All drivers and this seemed to solve my problem. I have also upgraded from Cubasis VST4 to Cubase SE which seems a big improvement. However, in the last couple of days I have started to experience a sudden and complete dropout of sound in some orchestral pieces written in Sibelius and brought into GPO as MIDI files. I can retrieve the situation simply by closing down Cubase and then reopening it, but the dropout is fairly random, only occurring from time to time, so it is becoming rather annoying, to say the least! I am wondering if this is a driver problem (I can't see how it could be a Cubase problem). I would be most grateful for any help or advice.

Peter

Re: Drivers?

Peter,
    First, try increasing the latency in the ASIO4ALL control panel by increasing the buffer size.

If increasing the buffer size doesn't work, it would also be helpful to know what your ASIO4ALL settings are:

Buffer Size
    DMA (Yes/No)
    Input Delay
    Output Delay

and what your processor is.
    Bill

Hello Peter

I am new to GPO also and I bought an Audigy2 ZS purely to be able to use an ASIO driver .. I downloaded the latest driver. This caused considerable problems including blocking me from launching GPO Studio and knocking out my Norton Antivirus. I had to uninstall the driver, remove all traces of Creative and Soundblaster from my registry and then remove the soundcard. I changed back to my onboard AC97 to get things working again.

Whilst trying to resolve the problem I too went to look at the ASIO4all drivers. I found a notice on their site stating problems with SB Live cards. I don't know if this extended to PCI versions of the Audigy2 card. I did try asio4all with no success.

Good luck
    Michael
    Patience is a virtue, sensitivity is a gift

If you are getting occasional dropouts, I would say the most likely culprit is CPU overload. You can reduce the chances of going past 100% utilization (and thus dropouts) by making sure you only use the dry versions ofthe GPO instruments, and when you use a reverb make sure it is a single reverb setup as a send effect in your sequencer. You may also be able to reduce the CPU usage/quality setting in your reverb, which would also help. An easy way to test if the problem is CPU usage or not, would be to load a song with only one instrument (I would recommend the lite piano since it has no known occurences of click bugs or anthing like that) and see if you ever get dropouts. If you never get dropouts on a very simple song like that, then most likely you are being hit by CPU overload on larger arrangements. If you get dropouts on a simple test song, then most likely you have a driver issue. Another possibliity is that you have a system that is vulnerable to pops/clicks on a few select instruments. This is not the same thing as an audio dropout however. Good luck

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Hurchalla
    If you are getting occasional dropouts, I would say the most likely culprit is CPU overload. You can reduce the chances of going past 100% utilization (and thus dropouts) by making sure you only use the dry versions ofthe GPO instruments, and when you use a reverb make sure it is a single reverb setup as a send effect in your sequencer. You may also be able to reduce the CPU usage/quality setting in your reverb, which would also help. An easy way to test if the problem is CPU usage or not, would be to load a song with only one instrument (I would recommend the lite piano since it has no known occurences of click bugs or anthing like that) and see if you ever get dropouts. If you never get dropouts on a very simple song like that, then most likely you are being hit by CPU overload on larger arrangements. If you get dropouts on a simple test song, then most likely you have a driver issue. Another possibliity is that you have a system that is vulnerable to pops/clicks on a few select instruments. This is not the same thing as an audio dropout however. Good luck
    Thank you for the information and help. The strange thing is that my system has decided to behave itself for the last couple of days! I did the CPU usage check and found that the offending files never caused more than 52% CPU usage, so it can't have been that (can it?) When I was checking the setups on Sunday I did find that I had different drivers selected in the standalone version>File>Set up and the Personal Orchestra Studio>Settings>Audio Driver. Since then there has been no problem, so I wonder if this could have been something to do with it? It also only happened when I played the MIDI file version in Cubase SE, and not in the original Sibelius version. I notice there is another poster on the board who seems to have the same trouble:

"more observations. i finally get the program to work, when it stops playing sounds halfway through a recording. also i notice clicks and other audio interference. I have the buffer at 512, the highest i can get and turned the quality/cpu dieal down to 2% on Ambience. i turned off all the other programs. i am not sure where to go from here.

I did have some pops and clicks as well but those have also now disappeared....so the symptoms appear pretty similar, except that jgyoungmd appears to be using Overture/Cakewalk and not Sibelius/Cubase. I also have the buffer set at 512, but I have not altered the default setting of Ambience.

Finally - HOORAY for this forum! It is so comforting to know that help is at hand!

Peter

Go Back to forum