As far as I know, pitch information is not available anywhere for the GOS library: which notes in which velocity layers are flat, in-tune, sharp, or fluctuating widely.
If anyone else has made similar observations on other instruments, would love to see them, too!
Having spent many hours doing it myself, here are some preliminary results for 'celli. The lowest C on the cello called C3 here. Only the notes that remain or go out of tune more than 5 cents are listed; and I only checked up to about G5:
GOS Cellos Sus V (4 velocity layers: pp, mp, mf, ff)
I have more, if there is interest, all done by listening and watching a tuner reading, so they are approximations -- but correcting for these makes an instrument tune much better to other instruments.
GOS was tuned and tuned and tuned and retuned multiple times through the updates. Unfortunately, Giga 2.5 (and earlier) had the notorious unity sample bug which had a tendency to screw up tuning. I know that Tom lost quite a few hairs because of this issue!!
Something is strange here. The GOS library has been on the market for over three years and the instruments were meticulously tuned and tested. Some of the early beta versions needed tuning but the released versions did not have the problems you report (I trust you have a recent version).
We wil double check again to make sure. For some reason, it seems the tuning values in Giga may have been lost when you did your testing. When we did the tuning, it was done at the sample level in Giga 2+. The tuning was not a destructive edit but done within the Giga programming. If you converted these programs to wav or used them in another program, the tuning values may have been lost or compromised. When other software samplers came on the market they did not always convert the tuning values in Giga. If you are testinging from Giga 3 then I hope GS3 reads the tuning values from the previous version. We'll check into this.
I'm curious, which sampler are you using with GOS? Are you using GigaStudio 2.5, 3.0 or a conversion to another sample format? I ask because a great deal of time was spent 3 or 4 years ago adjusting intonation region-by-region with custom MIDI test files and using Auto-tune as a reference for reading values. These values were then transfered to the regions at the sample level within GigaStudio. All intonation values are the sum of these plus the overall values placed at the instrument level (if any). The dual location of these values can cause problems with translations to other formats, for instance. If, on the other hand, you are using the new GS 3.0 then we might need to see if there is a problem with the new version reading tuning values correctly. If you are using the native GS 2.5 format, another possibility would be our using different software for analyzing the tuning of the samples. We have found that different software (and even the same software in different modes) can give different values. As I said, we used Auto-tune during development.
Gary, Tom, thanks for your response -- perhaps it is indeed an equipment change that caused notes not quite in tune, or I'm doing something wrong. That would be a pleasant surprise -- or maybe this is an undocumented feature of the 'Maestro Tools', to tune instruments? (Hope not, the manual says: "GOS is in no way dependent upon Maestro Tools")
All these recent pitch evaluations use my 2001-copyright GOS; neither of the two updates (2001, 2003) I have received has changed these particular files. And, there is vibrato involved, which makes precise tuning more difficult (not much on the low c, thank you)
I have been using Gigastudio 3 while doing these tests. Did not calibrate the tuner, though I did cross check. You can hear the fluctuations in the D3 and G3 pretty easily.
And, furthermore, despite the many variances listed, GOS is actually BETTER than the other two string libraries I own: the strings from Advanced Orchestra and the VSL Horizons Solo Strings. AO ranges up to 24 c sharp (Eb3, sus f leg) and VSL 24 c sharp (F#4 ff, VC_mV_sus) to 18c flat (G#4 ff, VC_mV_sus).
I just got an old copy of gigastudio 2.5 running again and checked, and the result is the same.