• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Disappointed...

I caught the last half of this PBS special the other night: http://www.wgbh.org/schedules/progra...ram_id=1809603

All you fans of latin music should check it out if you can, or get the DVD. It is an AWESOME display of latin/jazz/big band. Absolutely incredible.

Now here's my problem... as a recent buyer of the SCARBEE RSP, I have to say I'm a little disappointed after seeing that music special. Chick Corea plays a Rhodes in the concert, and after a brief moment of "Ah Ha!", I realized that my RSP doesn't quite sound the same when I play it. I do hope this will be rectified in the future, perhaps with a performance plugin.

- Keith

Re: Disappointed...

What sounded different? The EQ? Distortion? Ambience? Who knows what effects, and a speakers that Chick was running, and how the sound was being mic'd. Frankly, I'd be surprised if the live sound was similar to a raw sound from your studio monitors.

With an amp modeling plug-in and some convolution reverb, you might be able to get a similar sound.

Or was there something more fundamental that you heard? A Rhodes can be setup to be very mellow or totally overdriven. Maybe that was what you were hearing.

It was meant as a joke... "I don't sound like Chick Corea, must be my sample library".

The SCARBEE rhodes sounds awesome, but I'm sure 99.9% of you that care already know that. My first thought, almost immediately, was to put a tubey/ampey plug behind it, but after playing it quite a bit over the last few of days I have to say that the raw sample sounds awesome by itself. I'll only try to "boost" it if I need to dirty it up a little. And then I'll probably put it through a fender twin. I never played the real thing, but I have to say the SCARBEE RSP is the most fun library I've played. So many tones and nuances. Worth every penny. Of yeah, the WEP ain't too shabby either!

- Keith

I had a hunch that you might be joking, but the "Ah Ha!" moment seemed serious...

I've seen Chick perform live a few times, but mostly on electronica and grand pianos. Most recently it was on the grand with his trio. I saw him on the Rhodes with a Return to Forever reunion (which the LA Times reviewer panned - too many notes!). I also saw him do the Latin/Rhodes thing at the Dorothy Chandler Pavilion. Those Rhodes shows were back in the early '80s. My aural memory isn't good enough to remember the tone from that long ago!

My keyboard doesn't sound like Chick's either. Maybe we can get him to share some MIDI files with us.

I have a Rhodes 73 in my boiler room from 1977, the day I left the road. I'm wondering if it still works. I haven't opened the case in 27 years.

"Is it good to the last drop"?

Alan Russell

ps haven't been writing or playing for 4 months..been doing digital photograhy and video on request.
    Please Visit My New & Revised Official Website Below

I had a Rhodes 73 suitcase for years as well. Mine always sounded a lot plinky-er than some of the bluesy ones on recordings. I actually tried to tweak the tone bars and the pickups to a small extent but gave up. When the amp blew in the thing, I used the speaker cabinet (without the piano part) with mixer amp I fed from my DX-7 and it's bretheren for years. I finally ditched the entire shooting wax when I went to the computer based synthesis.

Must be something in the audio path after the Rhodes preamp that gives that good sound.

Thumbs up Re: Disappointed...

Funny post! But seriously - you could cram the RSP through a distortion emulation and get the same sound. I've seen his stage rig (as of about 1994) and he had a RATT II stomp box in line with his Rhodes. No kidding.

I'm going to play RSP through iZotope's Trash and see which one of the neighbors calls the cops first...
    Houston Haynes - Titan Line Music

I'm waiting (impatiently) for the release of Scarbee's vintage FX....should be very cool :-)

Talking Re: Disappointed...

Quote Originally Posted by mal7
    I'm waiting (impatiently) for the release of Scarbee's vintage FX....should be very cool :-)
    It's getting very, very close to release...
    Thomas Hansen Skarbye
    Singer, Bass Player, Composer
    & Creative Director, SCARBEE

www.scarbee.com & www.myspace.com/scarbee

That WAS funny...

PS My EWQL Gold is broken, I can't get it to sound like John Williams ; )

Go Back to forum