• Register
  • Help

Topic: ambience

Share/Bookmark

ambience

where can you find information in using Ambience with gpo studio? i could not find any help files.
    jgyoungmd

Re: ambience

What particular information are you wanting to know about Ambience? There is a small section devoted to it in the GPO manual. I don't know if the information you need is there or not.

Ambience is built into GPO Studio so there's not really all that much you need to do. The important controls are changing the wet/dry ratio, changing the room setting (from hall to small room or whatever), changing the decay time, and changing the CPU/Quality setting. You can fiddle with the other parameters as you like to tailor the sound further. I pretty much never bother to go further than the parameters I mentioned.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Hurchalla
    Ambience is built into GPO Studio so there's not really all that much you need to do. The important controls are changing the wet/dry ratio, changing the room setting (from hall to small room or whatever), changing the decay time, and changing the CPU/Quality setting. You can fiddle with the other parameters as you like to tailor the sound further. I pretty much never bother to go further than the parameters I mentioned.
    thanks,
    the manuel does not say much about all those buttons--gating decay, shape, eq and damping. So if i put my dry instruments, and wet them up with ambience, will they sound like the wet instruments? what effect does changing the decay time have. I set the CPU/quality to the lowest level just to be able to record the piece. is that appropriate. any recommendations about the wet/dry ratio?
    thanks so much
    jgyoungmd

Quote Originally Posted by jgyoungmd
    the manuel does not say much about all those buttons--gating decay, shape, eq and damping. So if i put my dry instruments, and wet them up with ambience, will they sound like the wet instruments? what effect does changing the decay time have. I set the CPU/quality to the lowest level just to be able to record the piece. is that appropriate. any recommendations about the wet/dry ratio?
    thanks so much
    Don't worry about all the knobs until you're comfortable with their functions (how to get there? read about reverb and experiment)...just try the different Ambience built-in presets until you find the flavor you like. "sound like the wet instruments" - here is the deal: the Kontakt Player used by GPO has a very nice reverb built-in....which is used by the wet instruments...but that means a separate reverb on each instrument, which eats up CPU cycles voraciously. By using a single reverb plug-in (Ambience) applied to the Dry instruments, you keep the CPU hit under control. The decay control changes what is commonly known as RT60 - the time it takes for the amplitude of reflections (reverb) to drop -60dB from their initial amplitude.

Setting the quality to a low value while programming is a good idea - you usually need your soundcard latency low at that point, which raises the CPU load. Once you're finished tweaking, you can increase the soundcard latency (buffer size) and then you should regain enough CPU muscle to turn up the quality on the Ambience plug-in for a lusher, denser reverb.

If you're curious, I found a cool java RT60 calculator online:

http://www.csgnetwork.com/acousticreverbdelaycalc.html

Brian

I'd say ambience is quite an easy to use, reasonably flexible and pretty amazing (considering it's shareware) sounding bit of kit. You maybe just need to read up on reverb in general. This is the bit where I should put a really useful link.

Quote Originally Posted by bmonroney
    Don't worry about all the knobs until you're comfortable with their functions (how to get there? read about reverb and experiment)...just try the different Ambience built-in presets until you find the flavor you like. "sound like the wet instruments" - here is the deal: the Kontakt Player used by GPO has a very nice reverb built-in....which is used by the wet instruments...but that means a separate reverb on each instrument, which eats up CPU cycles voraciously. By using a single reverb plug-in (Ambience) applied to the Dry instruments, you keep the CPU hit under control. The decay control changes what is commonly known as RT60 - the time it takes for the amplitude of reflections (reverb) to drop -60dB from their initial amplitude.

Setting the quality to a low value while programming is a good idea - you usually need your soundcard latency low at that point, which raises the CPU load. Once you're finished tweaking, you can increase the soundcard latency (buffer size) and then you should regain enough CPU muscle to turn up the quality on the Ambience plug-in for a lusher, denser reverb.

If you're curious, I found a cool java RT60 calculator online:

http://www.csgnetwork.com/acousticreverbdelaycalc.html

Brian
    thanks alot. I looked at the rt60, but decided not to use it. so the difference between the dry sound and the wet one is what Ambience provided with gpo studio host contributes ? at the the default levels??
    jgyoungmd

Go Back to forum