• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: My worries will never end!

Well ladies and gentlemen..... here is a piece which I wrote for a production of Macbeth in Hong Kong. In total there was about 1 hour of recorded cues and another 30 minutes of live percussion for the more lively scenes. (Peking Opera fight scenes etc.)

The witches arrived on stage and did their 'Double Double' scene to this cue.

It went quite well but....... during the dress rehearsal one of the witches was wacked in the head with a massive flag which was being weilded by a professional Beijing Opera performer as part of their 'big entrance'!!!

All ended well in the end and the witch in question performed perfectly the next day lump and all!

I suppose these mishaps should be expected with 'The Scottish Play'. The performance took place in the Grand Theatre in Hong Kong. I think the biggest one in Honkers!!! Sorry just showing off.

I hope you enjoy this... be gentle with me it's my first public airing to people like-minded people.

Last edited by Chiseen; 09-28-2004 at 11:05 AM. Reason: New title

Re: Macbeth

Very realistic..... I think it would sound better with less reverb though, but that is my only criticism, good job! I bet it works great with action going on.

UK- teeming with life....

Re: My worries will never end!

Chiseen, that was Sue Perb! Very Authentic.

Re: Macbeth

Very nice! The brass sounds great. and i like the .....um ?clarinet? Especially when it enters. good job!

Kauai, Hawaii, USA

Question Re: My worries will never end!

Nice job! I was wondering how you produce a final "stage ready" mixed cue when there is reverb in the space that you are working with. Do you dry it out a bit? (It's been years since I did a live theatre project -- that was back at UC Berkeley for an adventurous production of "Tom Thumb".)

Actually I had two versions, one for rehearsal which had almost no reverb. The rehearsal space was a big, wooden-walled school hall. The other version was this very verby version for the venue. Whenthe culture centre theatre is at capacity the audience absorb most of the ambient reflections. I do tend to agree that there is probably too much reverb on the final mix.

However, I like the way the instruments 'bleed' into one another. It also helps to increase the realism of the emsemble.

Thanks for the advice Neo.

I had problems with that timp!! I was in a rush to finish the recording for the rehearsals. To cut a long story short, I didn't have time to record it again. I suppose one day I'll get a chance to re-do it.

I actually covered it with a live timp during the performances. Partly to cover and partly to keep the witches in time!!

Sounds great. Nice programming.

But it sounds like you were listening to
    "The young person's guide to symphony".

It sounds an awful lot like the wolf's theme.

The first six notes of the repeating horn melody, are
    exactly the same. Even the way they're harmonized,
    is just like Peter and the Wolf.

Was that just a coincidence? Or did you conciously pull from
    that work?

no offense intended, but I just assumed it was supposed to sound like Peter And The Wolf

No offence taken at all!! It's absolutely and proudly stolen from the 'Wolf' theme!!! I love 'Peter and the wolf'. I thought it matched the mood of the witches.

It was also a shameless tribute in order to make the audience think:

"I don't know what it is but I'm sure I've heard that somewhere before."

The plot thickens........

There are also references to John William's 'Harry Potter' scores, although no actual melodies or progressions are used. I have however, used similar instrumentation in some of my cues. For example the celeste/glockenspiele feature heavily. This was inspired by the latest film in which the chior sing some of the script from Macbeth.

.......... "Double Double"...... "Something wicked this way comes."

I also love 'The Nutcracker' which also utilizes the celeste to great effect......Yet more references to Tchaikovsky.

"Worthy gentlemen your wounds and words bring you honour both."

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast