• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Have you ever conducted, tell us your story

Share/Bookmark

Have you ever conducted, tell us your story

What kind of trains do you. ..... wait, wrong conductor, sorry.
    I conduct every night in my little studio with my conductors’ stand, batons, and GPO demos one after another. (if you believe this, I am sane).
    Actually, if you have ever conducted or you are currently a Maestro (not a bistro) tell us your first experience. Do you like conducting? Would you say the conductor is the most important part of the orchestra? Do French conductors make better wine than Italian conductors? Are all conductors named Leopold? Why do they wear tails and not a business suit? Who started this in the first place? Why am I writing this and asking all these nonsense questions? Where the heck is Yamamoto and Francesco? What's an update anyway, the person you take out after the last on poofed you? Conduct what? Who? How come spellcheck doesn't recognize GPO if this is a GPO spellcheck feature?

Give me that bottle of azzburns quick!
    Styxx

Smile Re: Have you ever conducted, tell us your story

Styxx, this post actually made me laugh.

I've never been an orchestral conductor, but I have directed (conducted just sounds too formal to me) choirs for the past 17 years. I also did the same for marching bands and drum and bugle corps back when I was a young 'un.

To me, conducting is similar to but at the same time entirely different than being a player. You get a rush, but it is a different type of emotion. I'm not sure which is stronger, playing/singing or conducting. I do know that being a part of a group that is creating something that is appreciated by others is very, very gratifying.

Did I answer your question? Probably not.

-Kevin

P.S. Oh yeah, a story. Here is one. I was conducting a group during a Fourth of July celebration at Stone Mountain Park in Georgia back in 1986 or 1987. It was an outside concert and the weather was getting ugly. We went on and around the second or third song it began to rain. No, not rain. It was a *downpour*. Well, the show must go on, so I kept the choir going (we were singing to a taped orchestra, yuch). Well, apparently, one of the altos had had it and she made a break for cover. She was soon followed by another, then another and then the whole choir ran off. All that was left was one tenor and myself. He continued to sing, I continued to conduct. When the song ended, he walked down the choir stage to me, we turned around and took a bow. The audience went wild. It was probably the soggiest performance I ever had.
    We are the music makers, we are the dreamers of dreams …
    24" 2.4 Ghz iMac, OSX 10.4.10, MOTU 828 MKII, 2 Glyph 250 Gig external drives, Logic 9, Finale 2008 GPO, JABB, Strad, Gro, Reason 4, EWQL Storm Drum, Adrenaline, Symphonic Choirs, SO Gold,All Arturia Synths, Many NI Synths, Spectrasonics Synths, KH Strings, VEPro on a Windows 7 4x 2.8 Ghz 12 gig of RAM

Re: Have you ever conducted, tell us your story

Kevin, that is quite a story.
    The only time I direct is in front of Digital Performer and GPO

I'm convinced after watching some conductors there is a performance and a rehearsal-meaning in a real performace the conductor does it for show and the performers do their own thing.
    I'd hate to try tp keep a beat with some of those well known conductors. I wonder what meter half of them conduct depsite with is in the music.

Styxx,

I have been a professional conductor for over 30 years.
    Buy me a few beers and I'll tell you lots of stories..

JW.

Don't let anybody tell you that you can't find anything on eBay;

Check this out:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...sPageName=WDVW

Times must be tough for stick wavers

In all seriousness. I conduct an advanced youth orchestra each week for 2 1/2 hours which does major symphonic literature. I can tell you, it is hard work and it gets harder the older I get. Conducting requires a lot more than standing in front of an ensemble and waving. Most of the time you need to listen to auditions, xerox music, deal with prima donnas, try to get the proper phrasing, get the strings to bow properly, have the winds play in tune, try to get the strings not to rush, try to get every one to tune to the same A. Plus, with a youth orchestra you have to deal with the parents who want to know why their child is in the second violin section, ask the timpani player to tune the kettles carefully. Whew, I am getting worn out just thinking about it, but when all is said and done and the players are playing Beethoven with good ensemble and understanding, its all worth it.

Ira Kraemer

Quote Originally Posted by Ira Kraemer
    Don't let anybody tell you that you can't find anything on eBay;

Check this out:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...sPageName=WDVW
    Right now he's only ten bucks. It would be kind of fun to have him come and conduct my stereo...

Quote Originally Posted by Jeannot Welter
    Styxx,

I have been a professional conductor for over 30 years.
    Buy me a few beers and I'll tell you lots of stories..

JW.
    I've only conducted five musicals. I found it both frustrating and rewarding at the same time. Would love to join you and listen to your stories.

Ira,
    It is wonderful to hear from you Maestro! Love the ebay ~~~ick and I put my bid in. Youth orchestra huh? I feel for you all those strings out of tune. I did the sound of music six years ago and if they weren't so young I would have brained them all! Strings, woe! I thought young percussionist were bad.
    Styxx

Quote Originally Posted by Styxx
    What kind of trains do you. ..... wait, wrong conductor, sorry.
    I conduct every night in my little studio with my conductors’ stand, batons, and GPO demos one after another. (if you believe this, I am sane).
    Actually, if you have ever conducted or you are currently a Maestro (not a bistro) tell us your first experience. Do you like conducting? Would you say the conductor is the most important part of the orchestra? Do French conductors make better wine than Italian conductors? Are all conductors named Leopold? Why do they wear tails and not a business suit? Who started this in the first place? Why am I writing this and asking all these nonsense questions? Where the heck is Yamamoto and Francesco? What's an update anyway, the person you take out after the last on poofed you? Conduct what? Who? How come spellcheck doesn't recognize GPO if this is a GPO spellcheck feature?

Give me that bottle of azzburns quick!
    Back in about 1964, I discovered that I could conduct quite well by placing myself in the circuit of an 800 volt transformer.

Richard Wayland

Quote Originally Posted by kitekrazy
    I'm convinced after watching some conductors there is a performance and a rehearsal-meaning in a real performace the conductor does it for show and the performers do their own thing.
    I'd hate to try tp keep a beat with some of those well known conductors. I wonder what meter half of them conduct depsite with is in the music.
    Id have to say I agree. I watched Howard Shore conduct and sometimes the only moving was his knees as he kind of swayed to the rhythm....
    ---------------------------
    - SCA - Sound Studios -
    www.sca-soundstudios.com
    ---------------------------

Go Back to forum