• Register
  • Help

Topic: Scoring a sad scene

Scoring a sad scene

I'm working on a short movie and this is the music for a scene where the heroine visits her boyfriend's grave. I wanted a minimalistic but still a heartbreaking score and placed my bets on Cello 2 Solo. However, on its own the cello doesn't perform too well in high positions.

How much more do you think the cello 2's limits can be pushed? Or should I switch to another solo instrument?

The piano underneath is coming out of my Roland XP.

Cheers Matt

Re: Scoring a sad scene

It's a lovely piece. I love the melody and the backing.

For realism if I may be so bold as to make a suggestion/experiment. I agree hat the cello does sound a bit synthetic in the higher register. Have you thought of playing the melody on the piano and the backing with strings or woodwind?

Flip it over as it were.

As it is however, it's a great cue for the scene tht you have described.

Thanks for sharing.

Thanks very much for your comment Chiseen. Interesting idea, but somehow I don't feel that's the way to go in this scene .. a string ensemble without the piano might do the trick tho. hmm lucky we with all the possibilities.
    Best regrds Matt

West Seneca, NY

Thumbs up Re: Scoring a sad scene

How much more do you think the cello 2's limits can be pushed? Or should I switch to another solo instrument?
    Honestly, No I don't think is sounds pushed. The cello has a wide range that can reach into the high alto. On the other hand if you still feel it is, then may I suggest using viola. Also, personally, I would calm the piano a bit so it sounds more supportive of the cello, melody.
    In any case, this is quite a moving piece. Very nice indeed.

Nice piece... very pretty.

I second the notion of trying out the solo viola. It can be very sweet.
    - Jamie Kowalski

All Hands Music - Kowalski on the web
    The Ear Is Always Correct - Writings on composition

I enjoyed listening to this piece. However (and I realize you're not asking for this), I don't care much for the sound of the piano (the writing is great), too synthetic for my taste. I think this piece would benefit from using a better piano (did you try the GPO Steinway?)...

Thanks for the feedback, much appreciated
    I've been away from home for a few days but definitely will give the viola a try ... a second one. the quick first one didn't hold my enthusiasm .. perhaps with some serious tweaking? The GPO Steinway is definitely a final-mix option, but it's more than my humble machine can take in the scoring stage ... too much stuff eating too much memory.
    Regards2all, Matt

Kauai, Hawaii, USA

Smile Re: Scoring a sad scene

Arizaphal/Matt - -

There’s something about the overall balance and “presence” that just doesn’t quite work for me here. One of my most recent pieces to utilize “Cello 2 Solo” from GPO was my “Waiting for Truffaut” piece (which is a simple ensemble of pizzicato strings, bowed double bass, celesta, bass flute solo, piano and cello solo). At the original time that I did the piece, I “cheated” and used the HALion 3 softSampler for my favorite “Wizzo Platinum Grand 24” piano as well as an “All strings pizzicato” patch from my other Garritan – the Garritan Orchestral Strings (LITE). (I have mentioned several times on this forum that my “style” of developing a composition frequently involves using one of the sweet “all strings” patches from GOS/Lite as a way of entering in the whole basic string thing for a phrase and then going back and dividing them later into discrete string lines; for this piece, there seemed to be no reason to divide them as I liked the original sound as it was.)

LONG STORY SHORT[ER]: I just revisited “Waiting for Truffaut” and hacked out an ALL-GPO version as a way of example of a push in the direction of a “sound” to illustrate another approach for your piece.

The new, all-GPO version is here in MP3/160K or here in WMA/64K .

The ORIGINAL version is here in MP3/160K or here in WMA/64K .

i hope this gives you some inspiration ... KevinKauai

Sounds good to me -> Nice composition Aziraphal

The only thing i suggest is making the pitch bend on 00:50" different and maybe smaller . Instead of having a small triangle as your Pitch Bend shape, try taking a big bite out of it

Orcas Island

Very effective scoring for a sad scene. The weeping cello can bring a tear to the eye.

I agree with Theodor, resident string expert, about the portamento. The new updates that were just released have more advanced portamento controls that may be more effective.

Excellent writing. Thank you for posting this.

Gary Garritan

Go Back to forum