• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: And this one??? Fatar/Studiologic VMK-188

Share/Bookmark

And this one??? Fatar/Studiologic VMK-188

Someone has heard or tested this one (88 keys with graded hammer action)

See http://www.mixexperience.com/product...1631ba1953834d

Is the hardness of the keyboard tweakable (i e :at least light, medium and hard).

Because I'm quite disappointed by the Keystation Pro 88 on which we can only tweak the velocity curves, but not the hardness.

Re: And this one??? Fatar/Studiologic VMK-188

After some researches, it appears it's a VMK-88 with a SL990 XP Graded Hammer action.
    http://www.arbitermt.co.uk/studiologic/vmk188.htm

So, what about hardness of the SL990 XP?

I have the SL880, which is a step up version of the SL990, and the keyboard hardness does not adjust. But after I got used to the hardness on the SL880, I smoke when ever I play on the real thing

Hi xav93,

The 'light, medium, hard' that you're referring to, if I understand you correctly, does not change the feel of the keyboard itself.

To my knowledge no manufacturer, including Fatar, has a feature that will change the keyboard feel itself. Is that what you're looking for? Changing the actual feel would be a mechanical process.

Some Yamaha keyboards have a 'light, medium, hard' choice, but these refer to velocity curves, just like what you get with Fatar, but it's represented in a different way which some people can deal with more easily. You hit a note and it's either louder or softer, brighter or mellower depending on your choice of 'light, medium, hard'. The feel of the keyboard doesn't change, it's responsiveness does.

I hope this information helps, but perhaps I didn't understand your question?

If you want to communicate with me about this it will have to be by email, because I won't be monitoring this post.

michael88s
    michae11@optonline.net

Quote Originally Posted by michael88s
    Hi xav93,

The 'light, medium, hard' that you're referring to, if I understand you correctly, does not change the feel of the keyboard itself.

To my knowledge no manufacturer, including Fatar, has a feature that will change the keyboard feel itself. Is that what you're looking for? Changing the actual feel would be a mechanical process.

Some Yamaha keyboards have a 'light, medium, hard' choice, but these refer to velocity curves, just like what you get with Fatar, but it's represented in a different way which some people can deal with more easily. You hit a note and it's either louder or softer, brighter or mellower depending on your choice of 'light, medium, hard'. The feel of the keyboard doesn't change, it's responsiveness does.

I hope this information helps, but perhaps I didn't understand your question?

If you want to communicate with me about this it will have to be by email, because I won't be monitoring this post.

michael88s
    michae11@optonline.net

I know this does not change mechanical part of the keyboard, but only the sensitivity of the electronic part.

When I say "light, medium, heavy", I mean that you need less or more strength to play velocity 127, no matter the curve.

Maybe these Fatar keyboards have velocity curves modifying at the same time the hardness, but on the keystation pro 88, you can only modify the curve, but not the strength.

Maybe I have hammers in place of fingers, but I know how to play ppp when needed, mf when needed, ff when needed... but it's impossible for me to do it with the KS pro 88, because no matter the curve, you always need the same strength to reach velocity 127... and this needed strength is quite weak.

I have the SL880, which is a step up version of the SL990, and the keyboard hardness does not adjust. But after I got used to the hardness on the SL880, I smoke when ever I play on the real thing
    The SL990XP is different from SL880, SL990 and SL99O Pro (half heavy keyboard but with hammer action), but seems to have same keyboard than SL880 PRO (full weighted keys with hammer action)... Let's pay attention to references' extentions. see http://www.studiologic.net. It's quite the jungle...

the SL880 does have 8 curve settings, as well as 8 velocity settings, while the SL990 only had 4 and no aftertouch. they both shared the same keys. As "piano" controllers, I think they're both the same.... I pretty much leave it on the "piano" curve where a pin drop on the keys doesn't activate the fff sample and you don't have to put up a fight to get ppp out of it.
    The xp and pro looks like the next generation of same controllers, because SL880pro doesn't seem to have new features over the SL880.
    I like how VMK-188 is sporting a joystick instead of wheels, and everything is centered. It sure is one style'n look'n keyboard. some simple transport buttons would make it just right

What do you think about Doepfer LMK4?

http://www.doepfer.de/lmk4.htm

The LMK plus series of MIDI Masterkeyboards established in the musician scene during the last few years. All keyboards of the LMK-plus series are equipped with the same high quality 88 keys piano-type keyboard with patented real hammer mechanics (see picture below). This type of hammer mechanics does not compare to low cost hammer mechanics offered by some competitors (not only a simple metal lever beyond each key).

I don´t like my fatar keyboard: I have the Fatar Studio 1100--its nearly impossible to play ´real pianissimo.

Quote Originally Posted by Hans Grubner
    What do you think about Doepfer LMK4?

http://www.doepfer.de/lmk4.htm

The LMK plus series of MIDI Masterkeyboards established in the musician scene during the last few years. All keyboards of the LMK-plus series are equipped with the same high quality 88 keys piano-type keyboard with patented real hammer mechanics (see picture below). This type of hammer mechanics does not compare to low cost hammer mechanics offered by some competitors (not only a simple metal lever beyond each key).

I don´t like my fatar keyboard: I have the Fatar Studio 1100--its nearly impossible to play ´real pianissimo.
    That´s very interesting Hans! Thanks for the link. Now could you try this controller since I suppose you to live in Germany? I will check soon if here in Spain it is available (tryable). I can´t see in detail the image but it seems to have pretty accurate piano hammer system below the keys.
    Please if you know the very good Kawai MP-9500

(maybe the best I actually know as a piano midi controller) but not the cheapest http://froogle.google.com/froogle?q=kawai+mp+9500

and have a chance to try this Doepfer LMK4. Could you share your opinion about this question?

I am know searching the very best MIDI controller for my Black & White Grands. I actually play over my old Roland A-80 (not to bad but...)

Thanks ,

I've had the predecessor to the MP9500 (the MP9000) for a few years, as I've just mentioned in rec.music.makers.piano, I ended up reporting back to the salesman that I thought they were *under*priced. (sorry everyone ;^) It's a fine piano action.

Can't speak for it's MIDI control (knobs & sliders etc) though - I don't do that kind of stuff much at all.

There are some user reviews of the MP9500 (and the MP9000) at http://www.harmony-central.com

Greg.

I wish Kawai would make controller version of the mp9500 that was like 1/2 the price.... a cross between the VMK-188 and the mp9500 would be ultimate

Go Back to forum