• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Sonar, SX, etc Users - How Do You Handle Fermatas?

Share/Bookmark

Question Sonar, SX, etc Users - How Do You Handle Fermatas?

Hey everyone,
    I'm still trying to decide what software I am going to use for sequencing (I am using Sibelius for notation, then exporting the MIDI to a sequencer, currently Overture SE, for playback purposes.) and would like to know how you all handle fermatas in programs like Sonar and Cubase SX. I won't bore you with the reasons, this topic is a biggie to me and I have not come up with a decent solution myself. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

-Kevin
    We are the music makers, we are the dreamers of dreams …
    24" 2.4 Ghz iMac, OSX 10.4.10, MOTU 828 MKII, 2 Glyph 250 Gig external drives, Logic 9, Finale 2008 GPO, JABB, Strad, Gro, Reason 4, EWQL Storm Drum, Adrenaline, Symphonic Choirs, SO Gold,All Arturia Synths, Many NI Synths, Spectrasonics Synths, KH Strings, VEPro on a Windows 7 4x 2.8 Ghz 12 gig of RAM

Re: Sonar, SX, etc Users - How Do You Handle Fermatas?

Kevin,
    I use SONAR 3.1.1 PE. I change the tempo on the fermata to a low value as appropriate. It usually requires some experimentation to get the right feel relative to the preceding/ensuing passage. SONAR goes down to 8bpm, so you can get quite a long fermata if necessary.
    Bill

Same here. Just View->tempo, and draw the tempo envelope using either a pencil, or with lines. Sometimes I insert an extra measure when 8bpm isn't quite slow enough.
    Tempo envelopes are OK in Sonar--but I haven't seen how you can raise or lower the overall tempo (say, 10%), keeping your relative tempo changes.
    And you can't draw tempo emvelopes from the piano roll screen. (Can you?)

Quote Originally Posted by LFO
    Hey everyone,
    I'm still trying to decide what software I am going to use for sequencing (I am using Sibelius for notation, then exporting the MIDI to a sequencer, currently Overture SE, for playback purposes.) and would like to know how you all handle fermatas in programs like Sonar and Cubase SX. I won't bore you with the reasons, this topic is a biggie to me and I have not come up with a decent solution myself. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

-Kevin
    Well, I work with Sonar first, and later import to Sibelius. I have had all the fermata success I need by a tempo change. Works great.

Richard Wayland

Thumbs up Re: Sonar, SX, etc Users - How Do You Handle Fermatas?

Tempo change - yup...
    Houston Haynes - Titan Line Music

Thumbs up Re: Sonar, SX, etc Users - How Do You Handle Fermatas?

Thanks everyone for the replies. I'm going to give this a shot in SX and see how it turns out.

-Kevin
    We are the music makers, we are the dreamers of dreams …
    24" 2.4 Ghz iMac, OSX 10.4.10, MOTU 828 MKII, 2 Glyph 250 Gig external drives, Logic 9, Finale 2008 GPO, JABB, Strad, Gro, Reason 4, EWQL Storm Drum, Adrenaline, Symphonic Choirs, SO Gold,All Arturia Synths, Many NI Synths, Spectrasonics Synths, KH Strings, VEPro on a Windows 7 4x 2.8 Ghz 12 gig of RAM

Hey, on a related note, I recently moved from Cakewalk Pro 9 to Sonar 3. Now there is a problem Cakewalk has always had since its DOS versions and it's this: You do a long piece with a fairly complex tempo and meter map. Now, you want to delete four measures around the beginning somewhere. You select the measures and delete them, also deleting the hole so the rest of the piece slides up. BUT ALL THE TEMPO AND EMETER CHANGES STAY WHERE THEY ARE!!! And if there's 50 of them you're living in hell! Now you can cut and paste and move them but realy, that's lame. Is there a work around on this that I don't know about??

(BTW, yep, fermatas via tempo )

Quote Originally Posted by FredProgGH
    Hey, on a related note, I recently moved from Cakewalk Pro 9 to Sonar 3. Now there is a problem Cakewalk has always had since its DOS versions and it's this: You do a long piece with a fairly complex tempo and meter map. Now, you want to delete four measures around the beginning somewhere. You select the measures and delete them, also deleting the hole so the rest of the piece slides up. BUT ALL THE TEMPO AND EMETER CHANGES STAY WHERE THEY ARE!!! And if there's 50 of them you're living in hell! Now you can cut and paste and move them but realy, that's lame. Is there a work around on this that I don't know about??

(BTW, yep, fermatas via tempo )
    Cure: don't delete, cut. On drop down menu, I think you will have the option of selecting tempo changes. Otherwise, you can delete, then select the everything from the point where you did not delete. Then cut everything - meter,events, etc. and paste it where you want it, and you could select overwrite existing data. Main point: whatever you do, base it on cut & paste, not delete.

Or: copy up to your selected delete point, paste to a new file. Then copy from the end of your delete point and paste it to the new file.

I might be overlooking a detail, but basically, I use the method often, because I got tired of making all those tempo changes!

Richard Wayland

Quote Originally Posted by rwayland
    Cure: don't delete, cut. On drop down menu, I think you will have the option of selecting tempo changes. Otherwise, you can delete, then select the everything from the point where you did not delete. Then cut everything - meter,events, etc. and paste it where you want it, and you could select overwrite existing data. Main point: whatever you do, base it on cut & paste, not delete.

Or: copy up to your selected delete point, paste to a new file. Then copy from the end of your delete point and paste it to the new file.

I might be overlooking a detail, but basically, I use the method often, because I got tired of making all those tempo changes!

Richard Wayland
    I was being sloppy with my terminology- I did mean cut. it's entirely possible that SONAR now has some kind of "include tempo changes" dialog and I've missed it. The copy paste thing is what I do, and it works. It just seems clunky for such an advanced piece of software.

Quote Originally Posted by FredProgGH
    Now, you want to delete four measures around the beginning somewhere. You select the measures and delete them, also deleting the hole so the rest of the piece slides up. BUT ALL THE TEMPO AND EMETER CHANGES STAY WHERE THEY ARE!!!
    Fred,
    I'm a long-time Cake user, now SONAR 3.1.1 PE. I can't duplicate your problem with the delete function. Works perfectly for me, readjusting all events and tempos with "Delete Hole", as long as I select "Tempos" on the delete dialog and have selected all tracks.
    Bill

Go Back to forum