• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Is Sending Emails about Products Spam?

Share/Bookmark

Is Sending Emails about Products Spam?

I have been asked by some to provide email notifications or newsletters pertaining to GPO.

In the past I have avoided this. In this day and age, we are all bombarded by unsolicited information. Have you ever bought a product and then placed on an email "newsletter" list (often a disguised sales pitch), or a sales campaign, and constantly barraged with product news?

Many feel that sending email to people who have not specifically requested is undignified, shows disrespect for the customer, and is usually regarded as spam. Do you agree?

Or is it important for users to be kept in touch with and apprised of product information? Should I keep customers informed exclusively by the forum and website? Or should I engage in mass emailing?

I would appreciate knowing what your thoughts are.

Gary Garritan

Re: Is Sending Emails about Products Spam?

Quote Originally Posted by Garritan
    Should I keep customers informed exclusively by the forum and website? Or should I engage in mass emailing?

I would appreciate knowing what your thoughts are.

Gary Garritan
    Hi Gary, I rarely look at the website, but look at the forum almost daily. For those with internet access and a real interest in your products, they would probably already know about any news from the forum. Although I can see where a subject/thread could be missed by semi-frequent forum users.
    I certainly would not be offended by an email notification of a new product or updates. I think most folks that have your products, know you by now, and would not receive your email with an interpretation of greed.

Dan

To me, the definition of SPAM is a lot like the definition of Sexual Harrassment. The key terms in both definitions are "repeated" and "unwanted." For example, if a worker makes a sexual advance toward a co-worker, the co-worker says "no," and the proposer drops it and never brings it up again, it's NOT sexual harassment. If, in the same situation, the coworker does not make it plain to the proposer that such advances are unwanted, further advances are NOT sexual harassment. In either case, the advances could be in poor taste or demonstrate bad business judgement, but it's still not harassment.

SPAM is a lot like this. I get regular "what's on sale this week" emails from some vendors, and if I want to discontinue those emails all I have to do is follow the instructions. In each case, I asked -- either directly or indirectly -- for the information, and I can cancel at any time.

I'd heartilly recommend that you use e-mail -- but only to those who want it. As part of the registration process, make an email list available, and let the
    buyer decide. I think that REALLY shows respect for the buyer.

D.
    "He heals the brokenhearted and bandages their wounds"
    --Psalm 147:3

Never tasted an email but as an administrator I've had many in bad taste and I don't particularly like spam since I'm not into eating ham or green eggs.

Spam is flooding the Internet with many copies of the same message, in an attempt to force the message on people who would not otherwise choose to receive it.

I guess if a person wants to receive email updates on products then it's not spam.

What a change for the internet since 1996. I've sent so many recent emails and the receipents havn't received them because of spam blockers. It's unfortunate because it's email they want or need. Spam has become a big problem for most servers on the web.

Post Re: Is Sending Emails about Products Spam?

I agree with what Dan has said.

I have lots of software products, but I am on only a few products email lists. The others I check in on when I feel like it or if I am having a problem. If I were to start getting unrequested emails from some of those products I would not appreciate it.

-Kevin
    We are the music makers, we are the dreamers of dreams …
    24" 2.4 Ghz iMac, OSX 10.4.10, MOTU 828 MKII, 2 Glyph 250 Gig external drives, Logic 9, Finale 2008 GPO, JABB, Strad, Gro, Reason 4, EWQL Storm Drum, Adrenaline, Symphonic Choirs, SO Gold,All Arturia Synths, Many NI Synths, Spectrasonics Synths, KH Strings, VEPro on a Windows 7 4x 2.8 Ghz 12 gig of RAM

Not everybody checks web-sites or forums routinely. I expect to get e-mail notification from companies who's products I purchase about updates. Recently on the Finale Forum members were trying to figure out how to make a audio file with GPO/Finale. They weren't aware that GPO Studio 1.2 was up for download. They thought they would've heard by e-mail about this update. I don't think mass e-mailing to customers is wrong unless it's abused too often.

JT

I also would very much appreciate emails announcing updates and news. It's been months since I've been to the forum.

steve

Hi Gary, the best bet is to have the option; "Click here if you do not wish to receive any further emails" somwhere in your message. People cant really complain if they have the option to be removed easily from your list.

I agree with the comments above in that, you are sending to customers of yours, I dont perceive this as spam.

Spam is telling me to help out a general in Africa or how to enlarge certain parts of my body.
    ---------------------------
    - SCA - Sound Studios -
    www.sca-soundstudios.com
    ---------------------------

Gary,

Sending periodic emails announcing product news, updates, tips and tricks is NOT spam provided that you allow users to opt-in at the time they register GPO, or via some sort of customer profile editable by the user. You need a privacy policy to make it clear that you are not sharing this list with anyone else (except perhaps NI in the case of GPO, which could be a separate opt-in option).

I think most users welcome useful information and news about updates, which often solve important issues with the product. Many users do not participate in forums or read Harmony-Central every day to see what's new (who me, a forum junkie?), so a Garritan newsletter might be their only way to find out about updates. There is a line that can be crossed - MakeMusic, for example, agressively promotes Finale upgrades for months, via email and snail-mail, to the point that I feel harrassed and make it a point to only upgrade every two or three versions.

I seriously doubt that you would engage in such crass marketing. Why not publish a quarterly GPO email newsletter with links to new demos, includes the best hints and tips from the forums, some interviews with famous composers or other GPO users, perhaps a 'newbie' corner with basic orchestration or MIDI/computer info? Then you could send additional messages about updates when they become available. This would amount to maybe 8-10 emails a year at most, I can't imagine anyone would take offense at that volume of mail.

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by dancase
    I'd heartilly recommend that you use e-mail -- but only to those who want it. As part of the registration process, make an email list available, and let the
    buyer decide. I think that REALLY shows respect for the buyer.
    D.
    I'd chime in with Dancase's thought. It seems simple enough, although it doesn't matter to me one way or the other. If I'm interested enough in a product (as is the case with GPO) I can and will go to the site to find out what's going on.

I just think it's unfortunate that spammers have created a de facto status quo by which legitimate email info is now perceived as spam-like, for no other reason than that the process employed is a mass mailing. The fact that a medium can be abused shouldn't in any way taint its appropriate uses.

You could also, if you decide to go this way, have the default value set to "No Thank You" and require the purchaser to proactively check the box that says "Yes, Please." That would be a refreshing difference!

Go Back to forum