• Register
  • Help

Topic: Help with keyswitches

Share/Bookmark

Help with keyswitches

Hey guys,

Hi. It\'s me again. I\'m having trouble with key switches. I guess my problem is I don\'t really understand what the are, how to use the, or how to create them. I think that they are a way of switching between samples in real time, but after that, I have no clue. Could anyone help me out in figureing out how to find, make, or use these. Thanks again. Sorry to keep posting, but my mind has a lot of questions.

Jonny

Re: Help with keyswitches

Check in the onboard helpfile - there should be some detail there. Try using the help arrow and pointing to the virtual keyboard also.

Keyswitches are one mechanism for switching between instruments (yes whole instruments). You might have, for example, a .gig file which has inside it a collection of string patches (pizz, arco, spicatto, tremolo). Each of these can be complete, with velocity switching and crossfading etc.,

The old way to switch from one style of patch to the other was to use patch changes - not really a realtime thing.

Keyswitching lets you create a big instrument which has a set of keys on the keyboard set aside as switches. Maybe C1=pizz, C#1=arco, D1=spic, D#1=trems etc.,)

After you tap one of these keys, you get a patch change. It\'s simple, quick, intuitive, and can often be used in realtime without resorting to sequence editing.

Where some get caught is that the keys used for the switching are usually relegated to an area below the normal range of a 5 octave keyboard. Simply using the transpose on your keyboard or sequencer will get you into range.

Re: Help with keyswitches

I think the isssue that stumps people the most about keyswitches is the location of the key assignment in the editor. It is located in the instrument properties and not anywhere near the other edit paramters or dimension split sections. Just double click on the instrument (or right click and choose properties) and you will get the screen with several instrument wide settings such as name, patch,bank, pitch bend and of course the keyswitch note settings. That is where you choose the unused MIDI notes that you want to use for keyswitches. To avoid confusion, for goodness sakes, use the exact range of notes to cover the amount of splits. Anything more or less will be confusing. For example, if you have 8 keyswitch splits you can use a range like c2-G2, 8 chromatic notes. Hope this helps. The new help files and the upcoming tutorial CD set will hopefully help clear much of this kind of stuff up.
    Take care
    David Govett

Go Back to forum