• Register
  • Help

Topic: Midi over Lan - Mac to Mac and Mac to PC

Share/Bookmark

Midi over Lan - Mac to Mac and Mac to PC

Hi Everyone,

Can those people who are using the new version of midiover lan with mac's both in mixed environments and mac only environments (if anyone is) please let me know how reliable it's been for you and any comments or suggestions you'd like to share?

thank you,
    jaime

Thumbs up Re: Midi over Lan - Mac to Mac and Mac to PC

Using MidiOverLan CP from Mac (sequencer) to PC (samplefarm) here, working flawlessly! Not a single crash or problem, and no latency at all.

It doesn't have a real graphical interface yet for configuration on the Mac, just a "config" text file, but it's really simple to setup, so don't worry about that.

Also, on the Mac MidiOverLan has to be started manually (for the MIDI ports to be activated) by starting the app. You can simply add it to your account's startup items though and check the "Hide" box.
    Starting the app is exactly like turning on a hardware MIDI interface. So when your sequencer (Logic here) is already running when starting MidiOverLan, the MIDI ports will simply be added.

Well worth getting!

Maarten

Re: Midi over Lan - Mac to Mac and Mac to PC

I second what Maarten is saying, no trouble with MOL CP here.
    Fast and easy.

Lee:
    MOL will give you 8 Netports, each Netport with 16 midichannels.
    So its similar to a hardware device with 8 midiports like the Emagic Unitor/AMT8 or Steinbergs Midex (hope to remember the name correctly).

I can't speak for GS3, I´m still on 2.5 because the update isn't available in Germany yet, but in 2.5 I am able to use MOL and hardware on the same computer. Just define which Gigaport shall use MOL and which hardware.

Best
    Holger
    Holger von Baer

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I didn't think that MAC to PC was possible, or is it just in the following manner....

Load up Logic on Mac,
    Open VST Host on PC
    Ability to see plug-ins (ON PC) (EWQL, VSL via Giga, Absynth, etc) from the LOGIC (MAC) strip.
    Use Logic as the sequencer, and plug-ins on the PC, mix down on mac.

thanks

This topic is worth bumping - since retroz never got an answer for his question, any takers?

Quote Originally Posted by retroz
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but I didn't think that MAC to PC was possible, or is it just in the following manner....

Load up Logic on Mac,
    Open VST Host on PC
    Ability to see plug-ins (ON PC) (EWQL, VSL via Giga, Absynth, etc) from the LOGIC (MAC) strip.
    Use Logic as the sequencer, and plug-ins on the PC, mix down on mac.

thanks
    I run MIDIoverLAN CP on a Mac and 4 PCs with absolutely no problems at all.

MIDIoverLAN only replaces midi interfaces and cables, it doesn't allow you to move plugins or audio across a network.

My hardware ports and MOL ports seem to work side-by-side with no trouble.

Go Back to forum