• Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: How do you set up GPO in Sonar?

Share/Bookmark

How do you set up GPO in Sonar?

I'm curious how some of you do this.

Do you open up the GPO studio also?
    Are your outs set to GPO 1-8?
    Or do you use the Knotakt engines in the synth rack?

Re: How do you set up GPO in Sonar?

Hi,

This is a good question. Thanks for posting it.

I'm still in beginner mode and experimenting, but I've been mainly running it through the full Kontakt as a VST plug, as it seems to offer more possibilities for effects tweaking, voice layering, etc.

But I don't know that this is the best way or anything. I just want to do something simple that works, then stick with it. It would be nice to hear from the more experienced GPO/Sonar folks out there, and perhaps learn something.

Experienced I'm not, but I use the VSt from the synth rack. I've never used the Studio. I usually have an instance or two for the string sections, one or two for brass, woodwinds, etc. I usually put piano or harp or percussion in its own instance.
    I set my options to "Use std cc#7/CC#10 Volume and pan" and "Midi CC" on sustain.
    I create CC#1 envelope for each instrument and draw the dynamics with envelopes. (Although you could record this from the mod wheel or draw it in the piano roll view).

Quote Originally Posted by kitekrazy
    I'm curious how some of you do this.

Do you open up the GPO studio also?
    Are your outs set to GPO 1-8?
    Or do you use the Knotakt engines in the synth rack?
    I have found that the easiest way is to open GPO Studio, then open Sonar, where I am then using it as a VST plug-in and select bank and channel according to the usual method. In my midi devices, I have listed GPO Studio 1 -8, although currently I have no use for more than 2.

The DXi version seems klutzy to me, as does the Synth Rack. If you need a bunch of extra audio channels, then the DXi or rack might be a good idea, but not for me!

If you don't open Studio before Sonar, you will get some strange sounds!

Richard Wayland

I use SONAR 3.1.1 PE

I load Kontakt player instances in the SONAR synth rack. That way, when I load the project, the entire configuration is loaded. If you load multiple projects, which I do occasionally, no problem.

On my old DAW--2.0GHz Pentium (my new one's shut down at the moment):

With 8 player instances loaded in SONAR, it idles at 3+% CPU, so your baseline CPU is pretty low.

The GPO Studio idles at 13-14% CPU. This would be in addition to SONAR if you're using Studio as a VST plugin in SONAR. I'd be interested to know what my 1GB benchmark would do when using Studio as a VST versus running it directly in SONAR...maybe I'll try it.
    Bill

My workflow is very similar to Bill's. I have a few presets set up. I open all instanses in the synth rack as VSTi's. There is one instance for strings, one for winds, one for brass and one for percussion to start with. I will add more instances as the composition grows.

Aside from using memory and cpu cycles more efficiently, using the VSTi in the rack in Sonar will save any settings/tweaks etc. you have made with the project file. It is much easier to stay organized if ALL your project data is in one saved file. This way, you don’t have to hunt down your settings down the road. Also, if your computer can handle it, you may wish to load more instances than GPO Studio allows at some point (though I sure as heck haven’t come close), but it leaves that option open as well.

"So what if some parts of life are a crap shoot? Get out there and shoot the crap." -- Neil Peart
    Hint:1.6180339887498948482 Φ

I agree with Brian2112. I've loaded up to 12 instances for some of the pieces I've worked on. The best is when I load most songs and it only takes 30 seconds to load the song plus 1.3 GB of samples (on the average).

Is anyone using Sonar with the ASIO or WDM drivers?

My experience is that WDM works much better for me than ASIO.
    I'm using a Mia and AP2496.

WDM for me.

Go Back to forum