• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Any New Info On Kirk Hunter Concert Strings?

Share/Bookmark

Any New Info On Kirk Hunter Concert Strings?

There was a lot of talk about this library awhile back, but now no news, no demos on the website (www.kirkhunter.com) and no talk going on here. We are almost to October, and with all the play these strings were getting I would love to hear a demo or some news. I only ask because I am actually interested in the product.

If nothing else, any Beta's out there that can share some experiences?

Regards,

David

Re: Any New Info On Kirk Hunter Concert Strings?

Wondering the same thing here...

James W.G. Smith

Question Re: Any New Info On Kirk Hunter Concert Strings?

Me too.

There were some demos posted several weeks ago that many people said did not sound realistic. I'm hoping that there are some programming issues to fix and not that the library itself is lacking.

It would be good for someone from KHS to keep us all abreast.

I received a further beta version CD yesterday although have not had time to fully load up and play as yet.

The number of articulations and variations in vibrato and attack strength seem to be very comprehensive although I have yet to find out how they will blend/contrast with SISS, VSL and GOS.

Well, I remember someone saying the dry samples where pretty ambient for dry samples (which is good for that "film music" sound in my opinion), but I really want to know how well they play. The biggest problem that I have with GOS (which I currently own, besides how close the recordings where done) is the lack of "feeling" I hear in the samples. They sound kinda dead.

Ok, let me clarify because that is a really weird thing to say about a sample library. In the Project SAM brass, when you play back the trombones at ff, they sound punchy and... well... brassy (many of you know what I mean by that), and that is AWESOME. On the other hand, when you play the french horns soft, they are really tender and sweet. They have a feel to them, and this is what I really want.

James W.G. Smith

Quote Originally Posted by Mark UK
    The number of articulations and variations in vibrato and attack strength seem to be very comprehensive although I have yet to find out how they will blend/contrast with SISS, VSL and GOS.
    MarkUK,

I know you are most likely under NDA, but any chance you could elaborate on this? How or if legato samples are utilized? Performance or .art files? The overall character of the string sound?

Ugh -- I hate waiting! I'm looking to plunk down some cash soon, and considering the information vacuum might be forced to go with more proven alternatives...

David

Hi David

I am not a beta tester as such - I have just received a beta CD as a result of pre-ordering the strings way back when ....

If you have had any experience with the solo strings, you'll be aware of the number of attacks and the really good bite that these strings seem to have out-of-the-box compared to may other string libraries.... the concert strings seem to have similar qualities.... and a rich, thick texture.

I am not really in a position to critique the library as I have barely had time to try it out - but what I have seen so far, I am excited to receive the full library and believe that the value versus quality will be very good....

I am sure it won't be everyone's cup of tea, but I think pleasing everyone is a bit difficult these days....

Sorry I can't be of more help.

Mark

I caught this: http://music.tenhauser.com/ Ashley Witts mp3 page. I saw a section that was titled, "New Kirk Hunter." Perhaps this is some music made with the beta?

Quote Originally Posted by A_Sapp
    I caught this: http://music.tenhauser.com/ Ashley Witts mp3 page. I saw a section that was titled, "New Kirk Hunter." Perhaps this is some music made with the beta?

Hmmm.... Hard to say, especially since these MP3's (which are pretty darn cool, BTW) include full orchestra (brass, woodwinds, percussion, etc.), and I believe the release of those modules wasn't targeted until down the road.

The strings on these tracks do indeed sound "warm and dark" to over generalize their character -- as advertized. Some parts do sound very 'synthy' though (the curse for sampled strings...)

Thanks for pointing to this!

Regards,

David

Go Back to forum