• Register
  • Help

Topic: PLEASE HELP!!!EDIT MODE QUESTION

Share/Bookmark

PLEASE HELP!!!EDIT MODE QUESTION

I am not new to GS but basically have never used the instrument editor. It seems like there are quite a few steps to go through to create an instrument. At this point I only want to combine samples from different instruments on to the same instrument. If I have an existing instrument and want to add samples from another instrument , what is happening is this: I try to "import samples" but when the dialogue box comes up, the only type of files available are WAV files.These are the actual type of files that live in the Gig file right?When I try to load a sample, the directory where I keep all of the Gig files is blank. Why? Obviously I am missing something, but at the beginning of the online help these are the steps that are described.
    If someone could explain this basic process I am trying to achieve, I could probably take it from there.

Re: PLEASE HELP!!!EDIT MODE QUESTION

bump

bump

Hey Slinky,

Gigastudio hides the wavs, unlike Hal or Kontakt. I suppose it makes it simpler to manage presets. You can make them accessable pretty easily though.

To extract the wavs from a standard .gig file:

1. Load the gig into the editor
    2. Click on the folder/s in the wav pool (bottom left pane)
    3. Choose 'export all folder' or 'export as folder' or export a single wav if you want
    4. Nominate a destination and hit OK -
    5. Voila! your wavs are now sitting around the PC waiting for you to mangle.

NOTE: This is only the discrete wavs. If you exported wavs from an instrument with a region that had 100 different wavs stacked at different velocity splits, you're going to have to rebuild that region from scratch when you insert it into another instrument, so here's and easier way to mix'n'match using good old cut and paste:

1. Load each gig that has bits in it you like into the editor
    2. Pick a 'target' instrument - the one that you want to have all bits in, and clean out some regions so you have space to fit the new resgions in.
    or even easier - create a new blank instrument.
    3. Switch to a 'source' instrument
    4. Highlight the regions you want to extract and choose 'copy' (or Ctrl C)
    5. Switch to the target instrument
    6. Right click on a key and choose 'paste to here'. All the regions will be pasted into the target instrument with the lowest region located on the key you pointed to.
    NOTE. Paste only works if there are enough empty keys to fit the pasted regions. If you try to paste 10 regions into a slot of 9 blank keys, nothing will happen.
    7. Continue copying using the other instruments you have loaded. You can also load new instruments - they don't all have to be loaded before you start copying.
    8. When you've got it all organised Save under a new name.

Cheers
    Rick
    Last edited by Chadwick; 09-30-2004 at 05:27 PM. Reason: Importing wavs from different gig files

Would it not be simpler to stack the instruments without going into the dreaded editor? I just followed Jon Fairhurst posting on a stacking thread. It works!!! Maybe this is not the same what you wish to achieve, but worth to try it.

Ted

Ted,

What I am trying to do is combine instruments that have samples on the same keys, but map them so that they are all on different keys. Stacking would trigger more than one sample at a time on a given key.

Go Back to forum