• Register
  • Help

Topic: New Star Wars DVD's....like 'em?

Share/Bookmark

New Star Wars DVD's....like 'em?

sponsored links

***Advertisments***
    I really have to say that all in all I have no problem with Lucas adding new effects and CG into the old movies. People seem to make a big stink about it but I have to say that it is tastefully done. The biggest one is replacing old Anakin with Hayden Christanssen at the end of Return of the Jedi. Once again, I thought I was going to hate it but it really does help tie in all the movies together nicely.

Plus the transfer is stunning, the old movies look just as good as the new ones, and I love the sound!

Any thoughts?
    >>Kays
    http://www.musicbykays.com
    Music Composition for Feature Films, Television and Interactive Entertainment

Re: New Star Wars DVD's....like 'em?

I'm with you, Mid. The additions, being so small in nature overall, really don't break the films for me, with the exception of adding young Anakin to the last scenes in Jedi. Obi-wan's old, Anakin's young.. I don't get it..

Anyway, I also was surprised and pleased to see how well the films transferred to DVD, especially compared to the Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan (so-called) Special Edition, which by contrast is embarrassing bad looking. There are a few sound quirks with Ep IV though; it sounds like the dialogue is a mix of ADR and location, where the location ambience seems to cut off short at times.

But yeah, great DVD set. I've been enjoying it immensely.

on the bonus disk click on production still and video game or something like that and then type in 1138 on your remote and you'll be taken to a easter egg featurette

this also works on Ep 1 and 2 I think at the THX screen clicky thing on the menu.
    I do not regret the things I've done, but those I was unable to do.

Quote Originally Posted by midphase
    The biggest one is replacing old Anakin with Hayden Christanssen at the end of Return of the Jedi.
    WHAT??? I certainly hope he managed to make him look old enough. I don't mind new effects, but that one's pretty disconcerting...

I'm with you, Mid. The additions, being so small in nature overall, really don't break the films for me, with the exception of adding young Anakin to the last scenes in Jedi. Obi-wan's old, Anakin's young.. I don't get it..
    Well, Lucas explains is as the fact that while Obi and Yoda died as old men, Anakin really died when he turned into Vader. So that is why he is represented as a younger ghost.

I know...
    >>Kays
    http://www.musicbykays.com
    Music Composition for Feature Films, Television and Interactive Entertainment

Putting young Anakin in makes sense to me, although I've not got round to watching the last film yet to see it. I'm wondering if he'll actually die in the next film and we'll see him literally reborn Frankenstein's monster style. It will certainly add up then.

The first two look visually amazing though. They've tidied them up beautifully; it looks like they shot them both in 2003!.
    Trev Parks

Go Back to forum