• Register
  • Help

Topic: I found the piece I've been looking for!

Share/Bookmark

I found the piece I've been looking for!

About five or six years ago, I downloaded a midi of a symphony and fell in love with it. But I was never able to find out where got it . . . I didn't know who composed it or what it was called. It got stuck in my head. Where did it come from?

And finally, after years of wondering what it could be, I sat down and listened to Schumann's 3rd symphony, and the final movement began. And the melody began . . . and I was in shock! This was it! So beautiful! Wow! I just had to share that.
    Sean Patrick Hannifin
    My MP3s | My Melody Generator | my album
    "serious music" ... as if the rest of us are just kidding

Re: I found the piece I've been looking for!

Ah, mmmmm, Schumman 3rd...

I was reading about the piece, and it says Tchaikovsky found fault with the "colorless and massive character of the orchestration." It says Schumann's instrumentation was often given criticism. Luckily I cannot hear a lack of orchestration qualities, and I very much like the piece.
    Sean Patrick Hannifin

Quote Originally Posted by SeanHannifin
    I was reading about the piece, and it says Tchaikovsky found fault with the "colorless and massive character of the orchestration." It says Schumann's instrumentation was often given criticism. Luckily I cannot hear a lack of orchestration qualities, and I very much like the piece.
    For all of his greatness as a composer, Tchaikovsky had very few nice things to say about his contemporaries. He once called Brahms "Giftless".

JW
    MacBook Pro Intel Core 2 Duo 2.5ghz 4GB Ram OSX 10.5.8
    Korg TritonLe & MAudio Oxygen 8
    T3, Logic 9, DP7, K2, GPO4, Strad, Gofriller, C&MB, Finale 2010

My Website!
    New Film Scores!
    Also, Ever think about having your very own personal documentary? See my new Website!
    http://www.mylegacyfilm.com

I know how you feel Sean. A few years ago I was on a personal mission to find some beautiful violin concertos (which I had probably heard subliminally over the years) and after fighting my way through a lot of classical chaff I finally found the wheat I was looking for. It's a bit like finding the lost chord! Congratulations!

Frank

According to a short biography I just read about Tchaikovsky, he worked as a music critic for a newspaper in Moscow for a while, so that might explain his opinions of his contemporaries. He may have used his critiques as a way of letting out his personal fear that people would not like his own music.

He also seemed to be afraid that his head would fall of when he was conducting.

Now I just have to find a piano concerto I heard a long time ago, and I'll be all set.
    Sean Patrick Hannifin

Go Back to forum