• Register
  • Help

Topic: Ideal Sound Card for GPO?

Share/Bookmark

Ideal Sound Card for GPO?

Hi,
    I have been noticing that demos I have heard by other GPO users seem to have much hotter levels and seem a bit more present in the mix than the mixes I have been able to get recently. I use a MIA card and I was wondering if anyone had a suggestion for another sound card? My mixes seem a little distant and it is not because of excess reverb or processing of any kind. I also have been doing digital audio for a long long time and am getting the best levels I can get without peaking. Could this have something to do with my older Mackie mixer possibly?

Any ideas?

Anyone?

Beuller?

Re: Ideal Sound Card for GPO?

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Foust
    Hi,
    I have been noticing that demos I have heard by other GPO users seem to have much hotter levels and seem a bit more present in the mix than the mixes I have been able to get recently. I use a MIA card and I was wondering if anyone had a suggestion for another sound card? My mixes seem a little distant and it is not because of excess reverb or processing of any kind. I also have been doing digital audio for a long long time and am getting the best levels I can get without peaking. Could this have something to do with my older Mackie mixer possibly?

Any ideas?

Anyone?

Beuller?
    I just got E-MU's 0404 soundcard and it rocks. 24/96, a great, low-latency ASIO driver (as well as WDM), patch mixing software, a ton of built-in hardware DSP effects which can be accessed via VST for zero CPU drain, and a really great sound. All for 100 bucks, total.

Don't listen to anyone who tells you it's a suped up Audigy. It ain't. While it shares some of the Audigy's architecture, it's a separate -- and highly superior -- beast.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Foust
    Hi,

Any ideas?

Anyone?

Beuller?
    Great card , great spec and after much research I was going to buy one, as there's little competition; trouble is it doesn't have any GigaStudio drivers. So I didn't buy one as I wanted to keep the GigaStudio door open (that's where I came in, after all).

I'm starting to wonder if it really matters now as GS seems to becoming increasingly sidelined.....it seems to me. I went for the ESI Waveterminal 192L which I'm very pleased with so far....but haven't really used in earnest yet to be fair. I'm just going to convert my Giga samples into Kontakt and probably won't get Giga now......just don't want any unnecessary complication.....If you don't need Giga then buy a 404!

Frank

Quote Originally Posted by Hardy Heern
    Great card , great spec and after much research I was going to buy one, as there's little competition; trouble is it doesn't have any GigaStudio drivers. So I didn't buy one as I wanted to keep the GigaStudio door open (that's where I came in, after all).
    I've pretty much closed the door on Giga. I've got it, I love it, but I haven't felt the need to use it since Kontakt took over, and I don't see the new version changing my mind anytime soon. If I DO decide to use it again, I've always got my giga card in a drawer.

And I wouldn't be surprised if the folks over at the Kx website came up with a set of drivers for the 0404, which would, of curse, include giga.

Go Back to forum